Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Milking buckets  (Read 2282 times)

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
Milking buckets
« on: August 21, 2012, 09:00:41 pm »
I have decided to start sterilising our stuff in case we just want to wash and go rather than putting on the (3 hour!) v hot dishwasher cycle.  So I bought a load of Milton but it says not to be used on metal  :o

What (if anything) do other people use to sterilise milking equipment?!  :thinking:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Milking buckets
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 10:44:48 pm »
I don't sterilise regularly, and if needed would rinse the metal buckets with boiling hot water. If my everyday plastic buckets/jugs start to smell, I use Milton.
For the machine I use Capriclense.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 10:48:32 pm »
Boiling hot water like Anke. Washing the milking buckets occasionally in the dishwasher if you have one brings them up well too, and you can set the temperature....

Beth

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 04:00:56 am »
We have a milking machine that we never use as I prefer to milk by hand so use the drum of steriliser  that we have for the machine on the buckets
Graham

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 06:25:39 am »
Get Dairy Hypochlorite from any Agricultural merchant  ...............  it tis very cheap and the correct item to use on dairy items.      Lasts for ages ....my last one   has only just emptied after 2 years !!!!
I milk by machine and of course is washed out daily.       The is another product called milk stone remover............how ever well you wash the buckets etc,     milk stone still appears.     Temperature doesn't appear to have any effect on it.
I had a fully automated parlour some years ago and this had an automated wash cycle.   But even with this......... a milk stone wash had to be used.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 11:34:01 pm »
My milking bucket goes in the dish washer if it's going on, usually once a day, and is washed by hand using very hot water, washing up liquid and a brush, then well rinsed in cold water.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS