Rex
« on: August 21, 2012, 08:12:45 pm »
Just got a 2 and 3 month old pair ready for breeding next year :bunny:

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Rex
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 12:12:29 pm »
Hi,

We have a Mini- Rex. A house rabbit and a real sweetie.

Why are you planning to breed from them .... exhibiting?

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 08:36:31 am »
No I wouldn't know where to start,doin it for the experience and to sell them

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 10:02:05 am »
Before you embark on this may I ask you to browse the free ad's and see how many pet quality rabbits (rexes and mini rexes included) are looking for homes as it is?
The market is saturated, and there are currently this morning over 7500 rabbits looking for homes, and that ISN'T including rescue centers.
Unless you have another outlet for your kits (ie the pot) please think long and hard about this as once they are here there is no going back.

I have just manged to rehome a castor rex buck, he had waited over a year for his home. I still have Cameo, a lion lop doe spayed, litter trained and vaccinated and I cannot find her a home and she is as friendly as a kitten. Till some leave I cannot take in any more, and as thing s are at the moment you can't GIVE rabbits away unless it is for snake food.
I have a waiting list that currently stands at;
Chinchilla rex buck
Black French lop buck
Lionhead buck
Otter neterland dwarf buck
2 x lop does
These animals are all waiting to come INTO my place to then wait for a real home, but unless I rehome someone I have no room.
I am going to have to build more hutch and run combo's so these guys can at least be safe, but I cannot justify the cost at the moment.
They will all need neutering, vaccinating and pairing up with a suitable friend just to meet the minimum guidelines.
Expensive business this :-\ :bunny:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 11:29:42 pm »
I have other outlets the pot or a friend who keeps ferrets.

Greenmoor

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lancashire
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 11:44:20 pm »
Colliewoman, do you use the Rabbits United forum?  The users over there are passionate and you will always find somebody willing to help a bunny in need  :)

heidih

• Joined Aug 2012
  • walsall
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 11:58:34 pm »
Well im excited about breeding..if we dont re home /sell then we do as we must..unfortunately there is always dogs looking for new homes but you dont see people NOT  breeding..its a chance you take!..our rabbits have expensive well made housing along with the indian runner ducks and chickens we have.!..whatever happens we will love and care for ALL animals x x x x  :farmer: :bunny: :chook: :&>
mom of 3 daughters. and a stepson, partner of carl and mommy to 2 nanny goats , 10 chooks. 4 ducks. 2 cats and 2 rabbits with their 7 babies, support worker in CRITICAL CARE and craft maker .:)

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 07:41:41 pm »
It's a decision you make, not a chance. That which you bring into the world, you take responsibilty for.
Breeding for meat or showing is slightly different IMO but breeding for the fun of it??
Good luck with that.
It's not water into wine
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 08:33:02 pm »
Breeding any animal is a big responsibility. I think that I am right in saying that rabbits are classed as the most neglected of the pets that people keep. In my opinion it is best to have a purpose in mind for breeding any animal eg. showing, meat or a list in advance of people wanting to buy them. As CW says, there are so many that need homing already. Maybe you have all this in hand though.  ???

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 09:59:24 pm »
Colliewoman, do you use the Rabbits United forum?  The users over there are passionate and you will always find somebody willing to help a bunny in need  :)

Even through Rabbit's united/ rabbit rehome it is so hard to find homes :( I have tried. I think I will have to accept that she will be staying. If I can't find her a home what chance does Butterbur stand with her disability? It is soul destroying.
Many people there do squeeze in an extra one here and there when there is a terrible neglect case. Recently there was a case of I believe 35 rabbits from one house most of whom were pregnant females as the breeding had gotten out of hand and litters were no seperated in time :'(
With cases like that, Cameo and friends will not get a look in as they are safe. It is how it should be but she deserves a good home as much as the next rabbit.

Still if breeders are prepared for the ultimate if things don't go as planned then so be it. Unfortunately lots get chucked out into the woods or kept in a hutch to live a life of endless boredom and solitude.
Plenty of rabbit owners have never seen their rabbit jump for joy AKA binkying purely cos the rabbit has never been given the space to show such behaviour.
I try, that is all I can do and it has at least made a difference for some rabbits.
It's not water into wine
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 12:20:59 am »
I love rabbits. Used to keep 6 in a 8 x 6' shed free range with half the garden as a stock fenced run. I used to love seeing them hopping in the air, digging tunnels (only to be met with a dug down brick wall - LOL) about 5 foot deep and long and running up and down their man made, tunnelled 'bunny hills' -  I had this crew for 15 years in total and not long after the last one died, I was granted my Home from Home boarding license however, my job means no more bunnies for me as it would be too dangerous for them. i donated all my kit to Happy Landing who were very grateful for it but I OH SO MISS MY BUNNIES!
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

heidih

• Joined Aug 2012
  • walsall
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 12:10:51 pm »
Sorry to sound harsh but nobody can see how well organsed we are and educated..we havent just decided oh we will start breeding......its something thats been planned and yes they will be used for meat also , if we want..there wil always be people who disagree and agree with breeding..ive seen animals in poor conditions! Ours are very wel cared for with open land to roam and hop...
I think ive said enough..shame for those that dont get homed though.. :rant:.
mom of 3 daughters. and a stepson, partner of carl and mommy to 2 nanny goats , 10 chooks. 4 ducks. 2 cats and 2 rabbits with their 7 babies, support worker in CRITICAL CARE and craft maker .:)

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 12:26:05 pm »
I've just lost my silver fox bunny to myxomatosis. Before you shout yes he was vaccinated and he was an ex-show bunny who didn't quite make the grade. i absolutely love bunnies but i can't risk loosing another one to this dreadful disease.
If you can tell me a way to keep them safe i would love to rehome some, i have a very large run available :bunny:

heidih

• Joined Aug 2012
  • walsall
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 12:35:02 pm »
Felder...im sorry to hear about your bunny.! :'(.i list my bunnies years ago to this dreadful disease which spread from mom to dad to babies and also our guinea pigs..very sad !.i was gutted..but dont be put off getting more .. :bunny:

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 06:34:31 pm »
I don't think there is a way to stop mixy as it comes from insects unless fly screens are used but I can't see that happening

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS