Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newbie with scouring lamb  (Read 10099 times)

yvonne.s

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Newbie with scouring lamb
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 05:53:05 pm »
Whoops spelt it wrong, have just come back in and looked at the bag.. Yeasacc. It contains yeast and is supposed to help rumen function. Someone recommended it so we will try it tonight.
 I thought having sheep would be easier than ponies.. Not so..its been a stressful first week! :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 08:14:57 pm »
I have just heard about someone having problems with nematodirus, which is unusual this time of year.  It can present with green liquid scour.  I know your vet has tested for worms... but...  (analyses depend on how the samples were collected and stored, when and how they were processed, etc.)

Moredun's advice is, if you think you may have the problem, to worm three times at three week intervals, which is unlikely to be anyone's normal regime.  And they advise the rest of us to worm twice at three week intervals as a preventative.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 08:26:11 pm »
the good news is Nematodyrus should appear in an FEC. I had it earlier in the year in minor ammounts - seems to be gone now after one worming.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 09:07:03 pm »
Blackbird I hope your lamb is improving. 
We moved all our lambs last weekend - ewes to one field, tups and wethers to another.  All were clean and dry.  The following day all GFD lambs in both fields had green mucky bums  :-\ and all the Shetlands were fine - and have remained fine.  As someone said previously - rare for a reason (but I still love them).  Guess what we are doing this weekend  :roflanim: more dagging and washing :roflanim: . Deep joy.

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2012, 09:34:33 pm »
Stress can make lambs scour badly. One of my show lambs is always runny the day after a show so he gets a good hose down! I hope he'll grow out of it  :fc:
Sheeps' bums will always conspire against us  ;)
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 08:54:29 pm »
Many thanks all for your replies and advice. I'm moving them onto the hay aftermath on Wednesday and will see if that improves matters before trying a rumen improver/other medication (the Scour Halt seems to be only available on prescription). If matters don't improve, will ask vet for re-test and further advice. Mucky Bum is still trying to feed from his mum - is this normal at 4-5 months? Could it indicate he's not properly weaned, or is the poor little chap just hungry? Hoping to have them sheared tomorrow so will see if this helps matters too.
Where are we going - and why am I in this handcart?

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2012, 09:40:45 am »
Pfizers scour formula is available non-perscription.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2012, 01:58:06 pm »
A neighbour has just been telling us that his 4-5 months old lambs had stopped growing.  They've weanted them and they're picking up; his theory is the lambs were spending all their time chasing their mums trying to get what little milk was left.  Once their mums weren't there, the lambies settled down to eating solid food properly.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2012, 10:31:56 am »
Lambs came back from shearing yesterday, with a few nasty gashes, treated them with purple spray. Absolutely mortified that shearing revealed that Mucky Bum has been flystruck despite twice daily checks and bum washing - just a patch in his abdomen where it's really difficult to check. We have Crovected them both on the basis that the Clik they were treated with when we got them has been clipped away, so fingers crossed.

They look thin and a little sorry for themselves and am embarassed to report that I burst into tears when I saw them. I had another look at Hazelwood Flock's photos of GFD lambs pre-and post-shearing to reassure myself they will look better soon. Still, they will be easier to keep clean.
Where are we going - and why am I in this handcart?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2012, 02:41:32 pm »
A neighbour has just been telling us that his 4-5 months old lambs had stopped growing.  They've weanted them and they're picking up; his theory is the lambs were spending all their time chasing their mums trying to get what little milk was left.  Once their mums weren't there, the lambies settled down to eating solid food properly.
Just hope that happens here, mine got weaned a week ago, and went onto nice grass (clover plus rain) - mucky bums all round... been dagging all weekend... but just hope they start growign again sometime soon..

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2012, 05:06:16 pm »
We had flystrike on treated lambs last week. We had sprayed with crovect three weeks before but found two with maggots in their bums. these were replacement ewe lambs for our flock. They are fine and we trimmed the maggots out but hubby went back to the agri merchant and complained. They said they would feedback to the rep for that company.
I think either the flies are becoming immune or the stuff isn't strong enough but we find Clik doesn't work at all in our area and Disect works but nearly kills us in the process of putting it on; horrible stuff. Vetrisin was good but we can't get it anymore.
Hard to know what to do in the future we don't want to overspray lambs but we don't want flystrike either >:(

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2012, 07:32:46 pm »
I liked vetrazin too - it did scab etc as well as flies if I remember. I believe the license has expired and hopefully you should be able to get a generic product sometime in the future.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2012, 08:58:05 am »
I believe they now do a product called Clikzin? a mixture of both, i bet they put the price up on that one. We may have to use it anyway if nothing else is going to work :rant:

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2012, 10:25:01 pm »
OH came home overnight Sat/Sun and spent yesterday washing mucky lambs and checking for flystrike :( ::) (on MY sheep).  Has gone back to work in London for a rest  :innocent: :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS