Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicks to growers  (Read 2431 times)

Little Nell

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Ashtead, Surrey
Chicks to growers
« on: August 21, 2012, 12:16:54 pm »
My 3 hand reared chicks are seven weeks old and I've been reading up on next steps having been away for two weeks and leaving them in care of my neighbour. I can't find info on fitting a perch, the size,height etc. I did find a site but have lost it! Also I think they are ok to go out, they are feathered, but does anyone have advice/tips to offer?
Many thanks.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Chicks to growers
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 03:09:42 pm »
They are able to go out when fully feathered. I make sure mine have gone without heat in the original place they were reared for a few days before moving them outside. They need a secure coop and run with overhead protection from predators. Make sure they are locked inside at night as they are vulnerable to rats etc. It will help if the run has some protection along the sides from the wind/draughts and maybe the roof of part of the run could be covered to keep them dry if it rains .... this way they can still venture outside and stay dry.

I'm afraid I don't use a special size of perch for chicks ..... just leave it to them to either sleep on the floor or when ready to use the normal perch. Always keep the coop dry and clean to protect against disease (especially coccidiosis ).

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 04:06:53 pm »
Just as ITH says  :thumbsup: though I have a small lower perch which the chicks start on.

I wouldn't put such youngsters in with the flock yet though - I pen mine in one of the smaller houses, in the chookyard, but so that adults can only see them and not attack them.

I only let them out when they're not far different in size to the adults. Inevitably some 'pecking order' stuff then but they can hold their own and escape better too. Mine are free-range so by this time the little chooks know where their house is and can then get away from the bolshy big girls.

Little Nell

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Ashtead, Surrey
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 04:37:47 pm »
Many thanks both of you. I have them in very large dog cage on grass, with a waterproof cover over top and three sides. Have a cat carry cage with straw and wood chip inside and hope they will go in tonight and I'll bring them in. This is being done on a low budget you may have realised! Was also worried that rats could get in. They are in sight of my layers, who got very aerated! My dog has been on guard by cage most of day- she's an Airdale but you wouldn't think she's a terrier! She's good with all the hens and the kitten we just got. I am waiting now to see if I've all cockerels!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 05:03:51 pm »
Sorry, should have made that more clear. I house the chicks in a separate coop from the adult birds until near POL. They also have their own run. Mine free range with adult birds during the day from about 7 weeks but that is with a broody to protect them ..... chicks without a mum I would wait until they were older before allowing them to free range with the flock.

Think you will need to bring them in at night Little Nell. I have never lost any to rats but my neighbour does and I guess they could gnaw quite quickly through the plastic cat carrier.

Little Nell

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Ashtead, Surrey
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 11:45:28 am »
Thank you again. Yes I brought them in for the night because of rats and the colder weather. I didn't  know they are best kept separate from hens till POL, but if all cockerels won't be a long term problem! I'm lucky to have a friend married to a gamekeeper who can despatch them if necessary.
Or is it dispatch? Doh! 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS