Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tattooing piglets  (Read 3606 times)

Greenmoor

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lancashire
Tattooing piglets
« on: August 26, 2012, 12:19:06 am »
A couple of weeks ago we ear-tattooed our first litter of piglets.  Talk about traumatic  :o !!  I'm still gettiing used to the amount of noise a piglet can make without you even touching it, let alone when you're clamping the tattoo pliers to its ear!

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone would be willing to give a quick rundown of how they go about it, from how you actually hold the piglet while you do it, to what paste you use and how you ensure a good tattoo - because our first attempts aren't looking too clever!

Thanks in advance,

Gemma

robert waddell

Re: Tattooing piglets
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 09:31:07 am »
Hi Gemma
Please contact Bill Howes from the tamworth breeders club who will tell you in detail the proper way to tattoo and answer your questions. Bill also runs courses for tattooing.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 09:35:43 am by robert waddell »

Greenmoor

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lancashire
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 10:15:44 am »
Thank you, I'll look into that. We followed the advice from the British Lop Pig association and we managed well enough, we're just not convinced by the results!

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 10:21:00 am »
Sounds a bit fiddly to me - another reason for keeping my KKs methinks  :eyelashes:
This link looks to cover it - but as Robert says, there's nothing like getting some practical "hands-on" guidance.
http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/agriculture/animals-and-livestock/pigs/management/pig-identification
 :love: :pig: :love:

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 10:21:56 am »
lop pigs are white and show the tattoo to its best advantage     even when it is weak in colour    a slaggering of paste on the ear and on the pliers as well then rub it in    the squealing well you just to live with that :farmer:

Greenmoor

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lancashire
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 10:34:37 am »
lop pigs are white and show the tattoo to its best advantage     even when it is weak in colour    a slaggering of paste on the ear and on the pliers as well then rub it in    the squealing well you just to live with that :farmer:

Aah! On the pliers as well? That's the bit we didn't do, we plastered it on the ears and rubbed it in after. Will try that next time  :thumbsup:

Stoneymoor Tamworths

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 10:36:44 am »
Hi Gemma

re tattooing:   It's a two person job!  One to hold the  piglet and one to perform the tattooing.
You will need:  An empty feed bag to test the tattoo on,
                     An old toothbrush to apply the paste with
                     Tattoo paste.  We use Fearings and have never had a problem with fading.
                     A book or piece of paper to write any comments/observations on.
 If your tattoo pliers are quick release, you need to make sure they penetrate the ear. If you're not sure, put a piece of cardboard behind the leather pad.
The person holding the pig is better sitting down with the pig on his/her lap. The spare hand can hold the pigs nose and mouth, and this will muffle the squeals a bit. This also ensures that the pig's head is kept still.
When you have put the letters and numbers into the pliers,test them on the empty feed bag.  This is just a check to make sure they are in the correct order and the right way up!
Get your toothbrush and apply paste in the inside of the pig's right ear. Perform the tattoo.  If it's not a quick release, press really hard to make sure it goes all the way through.  Rub more paste on both sides of the ear (you will be covered as well!!) scrubbing well in and making sure you have covered all the pin holes.  Repeat on the outside of the pig's left ear.
If you have trouble reading the ear numbers on older pigs, clean the ear of dirt and wax, and shine a torch behind it.  If for any reason you need to re-tattoo, you need to get permission from BPA to do so.
Hope this is helpful.  If you have any more queries, phone me on 02476 466117.

Bill Howes  :thumbsup:

Greenmoor

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lancashire
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 11:18:54 am »
Thanks Bill, that's very helpful, just what I was looking for  :thumbsup:

Gemma

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS