Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What price for kids?  (Read 6578 times)

smithycraft

• Joined Apr 2012
What price for kids?
« on: August 20, 2012, 04:29:01 pm »
I'm thinking of selling 2 of this year's kids.  They were born on 1st May and are male (neutered) and female and believe it or not, they are twins.

As you can see they are a bit of a mixed breed their mother is a Saanen cross Toggenburg and their father is a bit of a mystery.

They are just weaned.

I've never sold kids before so I've no idea what is a reasonable price.  Would be grateful for any advice.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: What price for kids?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 04:44:01 pm »
Given that they are horned the market is quite limited, and you are most likely to sell them for their meat value. If you had them both disbudded and could show some milk in their mother's pedigree then they may have made a nice pair for someone just starting out on goatkeepeing.
Even if you yourself keep horned goats in the case of not planning to keep their offspring you would increase the kids' value dramatically by gettting them disbudded.
Please don't sell them to anyone new to goats and also not to someone with young children.
PS.: Daddy is most likely a Golden Guernsey, looking at the colouring/ pattern of the male (in the foreground?). The female is actually really quite pretty.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 07:00:10 pm »
With the cost of disbudding at that age it wouldn't be worth it

WarescotFarm

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 07:35:18 pm »
Don't know on price but we bought our pygmy for £160 as a neutered, debudded male.
We got her home to find she was an un-neutered girl with horns.

People we bought her from tried to get her back as she was worth more as a girl, we said NO WAY!  :huff:

Anyway, we are a family new to goats and I have 3 kids under 5. Don't discount us young family folks, we love animals as much as the next person  ;D
Miniature Falabella, Pygmy Goat, 2 Glouster Old Spots, 1 Long Island Red, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Dark Sussex, 1 Silkie, 1 Magpie Duck and hopefully some more chicks and ducklings due to hatch soon!

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 07:40:56 pm »
Disbudding is around £25 max with farm Vet   .    If disbudded the average price would be around £100 for a female for unregistered nothing known about stock.
If registered , disbudded, known health status i.e CAE tested,....   Then £250 - 300 would the norm.

WarescotFarm

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 07:43:30 pm »
Also have a look at preloved, quite a few goats for sale on there, see what other people are getting??
Miniature Falabella, Pygmy Goat, 2 Glouster Old Spots, 1 Long Island Red, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Dark Sussex, 1 Silkie, 1 Magpie Duck and hopefully some more chicks and ducklings due to hatch soon!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 09:45:17 pm »
Disbudding is around £25 max with farm Vet   .    If disbudded the average price would be around £100 for a female for unregistered nothing known about stock.
If registered , disbudded, known health status i.e CAE tested,....   Then £250 - 300 would the norm.

That was the point I was making - IMHO it is just not making economic sense not to disbud!
Anyway, we are a family new to goats and I have 3 kids under 5. Don't discount us young family folks, we love animals as much as the next person  ;D
Will you still love her as much if she has poked one of your kids' eyes out? Just an accident,not deliberately?

WarescotFarm

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 09:50:54 pm »
You could say something along those lines about most
Animals and most things in life too

They learn from a young age to respect animals
And they are always supervised :)

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 09:59:06 pm »
And children could just as easily get butted by a sheep, trod on by a cow, kicked by a pony etc etc All with serious consequences, unfortunately you can't protect them from everything and as long as they are made to be aware and supervised when around the animals then that's all you can do.
Disbudding is a matter of personally preference and there is no right or wrong choice  :)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 10:23:53 pm »
Ever thought why the majority of goats ending up in sanctuaries or being sold for fiver at auction are horned?
Why would you not disbud your anímal ( a safe operation undertaken under general anaesthetic with absolutely no pain to the kid) if that would increase its lifelong value and his/her chance of leading a longer and happy life? You may think that you will look after them into old age and they will never have to be sold - but anything may happen.
I do have a horned tup and now have permanent damage to one of my knees as a result of a quick and unintentional but. And there are only a few horned breeds of sheep left that are of commercial value (because it can be bred out). It is just that for goats the hornless gene is linked to hermaphroditism and therefore horns cannot be bred out.
I was just trying to advise the original poster that maybe s/he could rethink their strategy for future years.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 10:49:43 pm »
I was advised that disbudding can be fatal to the goat even if done by vet as skull is very soft and high risk of damaging the brain.

I have just bought a few boers with horns and find them a lot smoother than sheep.  As much as I love my Wiltshire Horn ewe her horns are razor sharp.

smithycraft

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 11:20:15 pm »
Thank you for all your input.  I am surprised at how many people disbud goats and that is not meant to be a dig at anybody.  We always have our Dexters done but I had heard that the operation on goats wasn't very pleasant.

I took on two goats several years ago, one horned and one not and I now have 7 in total including kids but the non-horned one is definitely the boss.  She has no trouble interacting with the others.

So far I've not had any problems with my horned goats, in fact they are much easier to handle than the non-horned one as I have something to steer them with.

Having never actually bought a goat I was really just interested in getting an idea of what sort of price you would expect to pay for a mixed breed kid.   

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 12:32:05 am »

I have my larger goats disbudded, but not the pygmy goats.  The reason for this is their heads are so small, I am not at all happy putting them through it, and neither is my vet.  So, far, to my knowledge, none of the goats I have ever sold with horns has poked a childs eye out :)

Although my pygmy intact male may give you a mega butt if you suggest he has his magnificent horns removed.!!!

Not sure how we are discussing horns, but back to the original question of price for kids.......I would definitely try for £100 for the female.  The male would probably end up as a companion, so not as much.

smithycraft

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 06:24:58 am »
Thanks Roxy.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 12:05:40 pm »
We always disbud our kids, No matter how quiet and gentle they are there is always a risk as. When I was younger there was a neighbour had 3 milking nannys, all 3 had horns and she never had a problem and always said they would never do her any harm.
One day when she was milking there was a low flying jet went over, one of the goats panicked and because she was tied up spun her head round and the end of the horn hit the owner in the eye. she lost her eye
so I would never have a horned goat here
Graham

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS