Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Diatomaceous Earth?  (Read 8463 times)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
Diatomaceous Earth?
« on: May 11, 2009, 08:49:53 pm »
Diatomaceous Earth was mentioned on the Dying chickens thread I started so I thought I would start a new thread to pick peoples brains!

I've done a wee bit of reading about this stuff, having never heard of it, and wondered what other peoples experiences of it are?!  I read that it is good for eradicating Red Mites by sprinkling the powder in the hen house.  Treats for lice if put on the birds or added to their dust bath and added to food as a wormer.  Does anyone use it as a wormer and if so do you use any other wormer as well?

I guess my real question is Is this stuff as amazing as it sounds when you read the blurb about it?  Any opinions about this product would be great!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Diatomaceous Earth?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 09:40:36 pm »
And my question is where can I get some locally?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 09:43:36 pm »
It certainly sounds very good, but is it too good to be true?!

minidax

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 10:13:33 pm »
Hi, I am using it and so far so good, using it in hen house, regular dust bath areas and in food.  I am going to use it for the dogs too.  I got mine from Wiggly Wigglers online and it cost around £20.00 for a massive tub.  I am not using any other chemical / non chemicals.  If the hens do show signs of mites I will dust them individually with the powder too.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 10:20:08 pm »
Did you use different products for different things in the past?  If so what made you decide to use one product for everything?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 10:33:55 pm »
I didn't know you stuck it in there food. It works by scratching the water proofing on the bug and it dries out. a bit like us getting stuck in barbed wire. I would still worm your hens if your not keen on using chemicals opt for the organic ones. It helps control the mites but it will not kill off a bad case of them. Cleaning is the only way. We had some very nasty scaly leg chickens given to us. using the scaly leg spray and Vaseline seems to have killed them off. I wonder if it kill other mites. Thou I'm not sure the chucks would like being gleesed up. may make it hard to catch.

Pomona

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 12:31:16 pm »
I got a big tub too - ordered it from one of the online poultry supplies shops.

I sprinkle it around the roost and in amongst the bedding and in their nest boxes every few days, you don't need much, and I also sprinkle some in their dust-bath area so they can chuck it over themselves when they're having a wee preen.  Touch wood, there don't seem to be any health problems so I think I'll just keep on using it, just in case...

Apparently you can use the Diatom powder as a garden insecticide and to deal with flea outbreaks in domestic pets... 

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 04:01:29 pm »
I've ordered some from wigglers.  Didn't know it controlled dog fleas. would have got it sooner else - my dogs all had fleas a few weeks ago and needed at trip to the vet for frontline.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 08:01:04 pm »
I think I'm going to get some - sounds like good stuff!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 10:38:04 pm »
make sure is food grade if your going to use it as a feed. intresting reading good at protecting your feed from bus to.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 07:07:28 pm »
Yeah I read that it improves digestion so the hens eat less as they absorb more nutrients.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 07:32:46 pm »
Do you get details of what it can be used for with the tub?

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 07:36:49 pm »
This is the info I read about it- I have no idea if the tub comes with instructions, but I would have thought so.  Anyway, hope this info helps Doganjo.

Diatomaceous Earth (DE), as it is correctly known, is a 100% natural powder for use on birds and animals against internal (worms) and external parasites (lice, fleas etc), and for the general good health of your animals. It really does work, you can find many website forums singing its praises.

A very useful product which can be used for internally worming all poultry and many other farm animals including dogs and horses, plus can be used on all birds and pets for the control of lice, fleas etc. and for residual control of lice in housing and bedding.

If Red Mite is already a problem in your henhouse then we would suggest using Poultry Shield Red Mite Eradicator first, to clean out, then when dry apply Diatom Powder. We also suggest you use it for residual louse and mite control by applying to nest boxes and house floor when bedding is changed and/or use in purpose made dustbaths where the birds will get a constant covering when bathing.

* Residual Red Mite control
* Natural Wormer
* Increases digestability of the feed
* Helps in supplying adequate minerals
* Aids in greater utilisation of feed value. It will save on feed as less undigested feed passes through the large intestine as waste matter
* Causes noticeably better health, less sickness and a faster growth gain
* Diatom is a 100% natural product
* No Egg withdrawal period necessary
* Pack sizes 1kg, 2kg, 5kg, 10kg and 15kg
* Residual Red Mite control. Scatter a good handful around the perch and nesting areas. The mite will crawl through the dust to get to the hens at night. the Diatom scratches the mites waxy shell causing it to slowly dehydrate and die.
* Feeding rates: Add 1% Diatom to Poultry Feed, 2% for Pigs, Goats and Sheep, 5oz in Horse Rations. Can also be used for Dogs and Cats.

With each purchase you will also receive a leaflet giving a full description of Diatom and how to use it. This product is not for human consumption.

When handling any poultry and/or applying powders, however safe to use, we would suggest using Rubber Gloves or disposable Latex Gloves. Found in our Health & Hygiene Products section.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 09:55:08 pm »
Thanks, MiriMaran   

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 11:33:54 am »
Interesting, thanks! Think I'll get some!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS