Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dispatching chickens  (Read 19199 times)

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Re: Dispatching chickens
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 10:12:12 pm »
Personally I use the broom handle across the neck but I would love something efficient and quick.

Do you not find the broom handle efficient and quick? If it's a space issue, use a smallish spanner or something. I don't think faffing with fancier kit would make things easier, unless there is a particular problem you're finding?

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 10:13:37 pm »
my PERSONAL OPINION is the same as jaykays.
cones, pliers, airrifles etc etc are for the convenience of the person NOT the chicken.
broomstick method is great as is doing it by hand, properly. learn it right first and stop copping out.

It's hardly copping out to use a method that is acknowledged worldwide as safe and humane, is it? Just Google killing cone and you'll find lots of resources for everyone from large commercial operators to small scale keepers. For example:

Kill Them With Kindness: How to Make and Use a Killing Cone
Using a killing cone to dispatch your chickens
How to kill a chicken (as humanely as possible)
Cleaning and Packaging Poultry Humanely

I'm not claiming this is the only way or the right way, just pointing out that many, many people use it successfully. The most important things, as has been said already, are that you use a method you are comfortable with, that is legal, and that doesn't cause undue suffering to the bird.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 10:17:07 pm »
and while im at it.
taking a life should NOT be stuffing a chicken upside down into a cone, shooting it with an airrifle, then bleeding it. ok!!
this is how you kill a chicken.

you go in at night, select the intended, carry it securely under your arm, talking to it softly, whilst stroking its head. then you mentally prepare yourself for physically takin a life. hold the chicken firmly in one hand whilst the other hand, firmly, and,determindly, pulls the neck till you feel it go. it takes FORCE! it is VIOLENT. you then twist HARD.
thats it. its not easy but its an essential part of keeping chickens and you are left knowing that you did it right.
if you dont possess a stunner, then learn to do it as above. you will get the first one or two wrong, but youll get the rest right. and youll be a better person for it.
 rant over, maybe.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 10:20:25 pm »
sorry dan, crossed posts.
nah mate sorry. its a cop out. its just a commercial solution. try it properly as ive described, then tell me which is more humane.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 10:22:29 pm »
I - with respect - strongly disagree about the cones. One of the posts linked to says you'll probably need a helper, and it's critical to use a sharp knife. I don't like throat slitting anyway (actually, aren't you meant to stun them before slitting? I must recheck that).
So there are two difficulties straight off.
And I don't see a gain/pay off?

I'm a fan of keeping it simple and foolproof - with the adrenalin going I don't want any chance of a stupid mistake.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2012, 10:24:10 pm »
sorry dan, crossed posts.
nah mate sorry. its a cop out. its just a commercial solution. try it properly as ive described, then tell me which is more humane.

You're entitled to your OPINION as we are entitled to ours. I do not believe that the poutry we kill is stressed using the method Dan described and I kind of resent your "holier than thou" attitude.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 10:27:49 pm »
I - with respect - strongly disagree about the cones. One of the posts linked to says you'll probably need a helper, and it's critical to use a sharp knife. I don't like throat slitting anyway (actually, aren't you meant to stun them before slitting? I must recheck that).
So there are two difficulties straight off.

Not sure which part of cones you strongly disagree with. Our birds are quite calm in the cone. They are stunned / killed by a single shot to the head and bled.

In halal slaughter, there is no stun, just a single cut with a sharp knife. We had someone ask if they could buy a lamb this week, then added that they'd want to ritually slaughter it here  :o

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 10:28:07 pm »
We always use the broomstick method, just our preferred choice. Also it's pretty difficult to kill a bird with the stun and stick method without a cone. They start to flap ALOT as soon as the stunner is pressed making it hard to get in the knife because of all the wing flapping, and then add lots of blood to the constant flapping and you have a scene which would do CSI proud. I know from personal experience as I worked on a commercial farm for a good number of years. So the cone is mostly for the convenience of the killer but would most likely benefit the bird aswell as the deed is done quicker. I'm not saying either way is better, you should just use the method in which you are more confident in giving a quick humane death.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2012, 10:38:07 pm »
An electric stunner is a costly bit of kit but, in my opinion, is the most humane way to kill poultry. It may pay you to ask around for someone who has one, they wouldn't charge much just for the kill. I do it for the cost of diesel to get to them as long as folk are local.
You have to get a "provisional license" first, then get a DEFRA vet out to watch you slaughter birds. He will then sign your Certificate of Competence.
Oh dear, do I now have to get a "certificate of competence" to kill a chicken?  :o  That really would be madness....

deepinthewoods

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2012, 10:39:25 pm »
i cant see how any chicken is calm, when inverted with its head in a cone, terrified witless maybe?
when you  kill a chicken properly, like its always been done, you know its done right, because you can tell when the lifes gone.
 all these other methods are to make the job easy, because it makes it detached by using tools and equipment, you might as well just rack em up by their feet and dip them in electricuted water, thats also legal.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2012, 10:47:03 pm »
I'm fed up with this now - not much tolerance of other's views being shown by some on here. I think I'll take the  :huff: and close my account  ;)

deepinthewoods

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2012, 10:49:35 pm »
im tolerant of your view.
even if  yours is wrong. ;) :D

the great composto

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2012, 10:51:23 pm »
I cant agree with you either because if I did that then we would both be wrong :eyelashes:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2012, 10:52:00 pm »
im tolerant of your view.
even if  yours is wrong. ;) :D

Can we consider this closed now then and be pals again? :fc:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2012, 10:54:29 pm »
maybe.

if you go kill a chicken properly. :-*

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS