Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breadmaker  (Read 6163 times)

xillent

• Joined Jan 2009
Breadmaker
« on: August 19, 2012, 08:03:58 pm »
the Smouts breadmaker has gone bang. We weren't very happy with it anyway. Great for pizza dough but the loaves we got were a bit on the heavy side. Maybe we're expecting too much. If so we wont buy another.
However, if any of you have experience of a really good machine we'd like to know. Not really too bothered about features like timers etc. The main thing is, how close is the bread to the nice fluffy stuff from the bakers. Nice and fluffy that's the thing. No point in all the fancy stuff if the bread is no use. (a decent sized loaf would be next on the priority list).

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Breadmaker
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 08:07:08 pm »
A breadmaker was never high on my list but we got bought a panasonic one a couple of christmases ago. I must say I am hooked.  Very nice bread. In fact so nice that we have to restrict ourselves to using it less frequently.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 08:09:35 pm »
I bought a Panasonic to replace the Morphy Richards and can honestly say I'll never buy another make again. Its brilliant.  :thumbsup:
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 08:19:20 pm »
Panasonic SD-255. Fantastic.

Mind you I am only going by the results -my wife loads it up. I like going downstairs with the kitchen smelling of fresh baked bread as well. We rarely buy bread now -only for beans on toast in fact.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 10:56:31 pm »
Shop bread has a special ingredient to make it so soft and fluffy.  You won't get that result without and they keep quiet about what the ingredient is.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 11:42:49 pm »
Vitamin C  ;D

I agree - Panasonic - I've had mine for years.   If your bread is too heavy it's more likely to be the ingredients than the machine.  Play around a little with the proportions and the make of flour, how much margarine or oil you add, and for anything with wholemeal in it add 1/4 teasp Vit C powder.  You also need to be very accurate with the amount of water you use in a machine - when making bread by hand you can feel when you reach the correct consistency, but with a machine you have to put the whole lot in at once, and you only know how it turns out once it's done.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 05:41:41 am »
I agree with Chrismahon, plums and bionics - a panasonic  SD-255. Fantastic. Really versatile.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

xillent

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 06:10:23 am »
well so far that sounds like a sale.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 08:47:29 am »
Another vote for the Panasonics! We've got the SD-256 (which is the same as the 255 without the little door to add nuts etc) and love it. Great results with bread and dough making, and so easy to use. :thumbsup:

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 11:36:32 am »
Yet another vote for Panasonic here - we're on our second model and have used one since about 2000 - couldn't be without our Pannie. We use it every other day for fresh bread and make all our 'bread' type foods using the dough mode.

The best part is being able to put the bread on in the evening just before going to bed and getting up to a freshly baked loaf for brekkie.

It makes great dough for pizza bases, pittas, naans, rolls, french sticks, focaccia etc.

Don't be tempted to buy a cheaper model from another manufacturer - there are many threads on other fora showing the folly of doing that.

Sue

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 11:38:27 am »
Agree with Sue

Opting for a cheaper model is a false economy.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 12:03:24 pm »
Panasonic SD 252 is ours, and it does the job beautifully. We don't add any butter or oil, but use our own goatsmilk instead. We have used a breadmaker since 2000, and only in dire emergency buy bread. It is also one of the few kitchen jobs my OH is doing all the time - after all it involves a "machine".
My kids do however love shop bought bread... the younger one has now moved onto Ryvita or oat cakes in protest at not getting any bought bread!

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 12:12:49 pm »
My favourite recipe calls for 340ml of water and 25g butter.

Do you think I add just add 340ml of whole milk and forget the butter?

Mmmm - might give it a try and report back

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 02:29:51 pm »
Just try and see,  have now used milk for so long, can't remember what the bread tasted like with water...

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 05:42:49 pm »
Well I dont have a posh breadmaker, actually I have 2 but neither of them were expensive! I dont cook my bread in the machine, I just do it to the dough stage, then I take it out, knock it back and put it into loaf tins, prove it again and bake it in the oven. That way, I can make rolls, or plait the top of the loaf, or I make fruited spicy buns, chelsea buns, and brioche which does have a tendancy to burn in the breadmaker.
I also like to cook the bread in the oven with a dish of water in the bottom. Im sure this helps to get a lighter loaf.
I use my machines about 3 times a week for various things, I wouldnt be without them!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS