Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best breed for crossing with Scotch Mules - Texel, Suffolk or Other ?  (Read 15199 times)

pixie2010

• Joined Jun 2010
Hi, I have been breeding Hebrideans for the last 4 years, but have also just bought 12 Scotch Mules and I am trying to determine the best breed of Tup put to them ..we tend to lamb outside, but could lamb inside if required but I am concerned that the Texel may be too difficult for a first-timer ?  Consequently, most people seem to be advising a Suffolk for easier lambing ??  we havent ever had to intervene with our Hebs, so I have little practical experience of lambing.  Any advice gratefully received ? 

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
Just my opinion, like but I'd be nervous lambing mules outside - I've not met many that are easy lambing, they seem prone to problems whatever.

I believe the easiest lambing tup would probably be a charollais, but there is no way Id lamb a char x outdoors.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Charolais would be easier lambing but depending on where you live not ideall for lambing outdoors. Although we have in the Midlands with no problems. Wouldnt recommend suffolks, big awkward and very slow to get up on there feet, not the best if there's foxes about. We have a Blue Texel tup at the moment,have had very little problems lambing and they are up and suckling faster than any other breed I've seen, although some Texels can produce big headed lambs which can cause problems at lambing.  I'd much sooner use a Charolais than a Suffolk that's for sure.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
What about a Dorper?

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
I have some mules and have put Suffolk tup on several times and Southdown. Both produce excellent meat, Southdown is leaner.  Depends what you want to do with the lambs.  Suffolk tup doesn't mean difficult lambing like pure Suffolks. My lambs are always big and strong and straight up feeding.  Suffolk also gives excellent breeding ewe lambs so you have option to sell on etc.  Southdowns I found had pretty ugly lambs, not very big and I only ever slaughtered them.

I also wouldn't recommend unpenned outdoor lambing as mules can be a bit flighty and commonly have twins/triplets therefore get tangled.  I watch them and pen in field if I can or bring in as due to lamb. I found this quite successful this year and only lambed inside if I thought they were going to pop in middle of night.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
First let me qualify that my experience is with North Country Mules out of Swaledale mothers; I am not sure how different a Scotch Mule (out of a Scottish Blackface mother) might be.  Possibly she'd have thicker-set lambs, and perhaps she'd be more flightly and not quite such a good mum as the NC type, but that's hearsay not experience.

If the ewes haven't lambed before, then the problem is that the new mums will adore every lamb they find, whether or not it's their own. So best to have them handy and get them penned as they lamb, while they bond.  Generally they love their lambs and let them feed without too much hassle, so the only real issue is the mixups.  Experienced ewes are much wiser and better at not accidentally adopting lambs that aren't their own.

So if they're first-timers and you'll have them handy, and penned for a day or so, then I'd use a Charollais.  Easy lambing, land on their feet heading for the milk bar.  Can be rather bare, hence, especially if it's cold and wet where you are, you'd want them handy / indoors.

If Charollais not suitable, we've been very pleased with our Dutch Texel on first-timers - a little smaller than regular Texels, tight skins (so slip out well), nice active little lambs that grow on well.

If you have to use a Texel on first-timers, try to get a one with less massive shoulders.

I've never used a Suffolk myself, so can't comment about that, except to say that we did buy a pen of scotch-type Mule hoggs with Suffolk lambs at foot - and they were pulled right down by producing and rearing those twins.

Looking forwards to pregnancy and lambing, it would be best if you can get them scanned and have at least the triplet carriers handy so you can help any with problems; also if you had any single-bearers, you'd want to feed less or the lamb may become too large to lamb.  If you can't scan, then I would advise that you avoid flushing so hope for no or few triplets, feed well in the last 8 weeks of pregnancy on the assumption they're all carrying twins.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

pixie2010

• Joined Jun 2010
Wow...thanks so much for all the feedback, it is all extremely helpful. My plan would be bring them in to a small grass paddock, which is really close at hand in the last few weeks and therefore I can watch and bring them in as and when required. I'l keep you posted, thanks again !  :excited:

pixie2010

• Joined Jun 2010
If I do use  a  Charrolais Tup, how would the resulting lambs compare with those from a Suffolk or Texel as fat lambs for market in terms of size and price ??

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
If I do use  a  Charrolais Tup, how would the resulting lambs compare with those from a Suffolk or Texel as fat lambs for market in terms of size and price ??
Charollais fatten very well indeed, giving marketable lambs hitting the supermarket and export requirements as well as any Texel.  We find a Charollais cross lamb will weigh 1-1.5kgs heavier than a Texel cross of the same age - and our neighbours say the same.  They should give good conformation, as good as or better than a Texel. 

We have the Charollais crosses from our better Texel ewes away at 12-14 weeks, c. 40kgs liveweight, 19+kgs deadweight, and they'll grade in the Es and Us.  Those from the Mules will take a little longer and grade U and R.

We don't use a Suffolk tup, and with a Suffolk you're looking at producing a heavier lamb, so it's a different market - less export, more butcher / catering.  Usually less per kilo but hopefully as much per head for the heavier lambs.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
What about a Dorper?

I've always been impressed with the shape of a Dorper, but i hear that even the ones bred here struggle a bit in our climate.

You could just as easily use a wilts horn or another shedding type.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Re: Best breed for crossing with Scotch Mules - Texel, Suffolk or Other ?
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 07:03:57 pm »
The Scottish Farmer is full of Texels this week, almost every page, so a popular choice and the two shows I was at this year had a big turnout on the Texel section.  I expect they have qualities that are not immediately obvious (such as tasty meat) - I think they look like some genetically manufactured beast - a cross between a bull calf and an axminster rug. 

Sorry all Texel owners, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.   

Wouldn't it be more appealing crossing them with something which resembles a sheep. (now I've really done it!).
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

pixie2010

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 08:33:21 pm »
Have to say, Goosepimple , I am with you on that one...compared to my beautiful (and extremely tasty) Hebrideans !!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 10:07:49 pm »
Or my lovely and tasty Ryelands  ;D

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 10:56:21 pm »
The Scottish Farmer is full of Texels this week, almost every page, so a popular choice and the two shows I was at this year had a big turnout on the Texel section.  I expect they have qualities that are not immediately obvious (such as tasty meat) - I think they look like some genetically manufactured beast - a cross between a bull calf and an axminster rug. 

Sorry all Texel owners, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.   

Wouldn't it be more appealing crossing them with something which resembles a sheep. (now I've really done it!).

In this case it's about producing a lamb that the buyers want to look at, be it from a 'wooly pig' or anything else.

Incidentally, I use a suftex as my terminal sire for oudoor lambing, bought performance recorded from an outdoor lambing set up.

However, its the 'mule' part of the equasion that worries me for outdoor lambing...if the op had, say Lleyns or Highlanders or Aberdales or Romneys or Easycares or or....

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 11:00:34 pm »
What about a Dorper?

I've always been impressed with the shape of a Dorper, but i hear that even the ones bred here struggle a bit in our climate.

You could just as easily use a wilts horn or another shedding type.

Quite why someone so far north would want self-shedding eludes me... ???

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS