Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Improving soil, highlands, peaty and, invariably a wee bit damp!  (Read 1871 times)

southernskye

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Isle of Skye - Scotland
Morning all,

Just wondering what methods fellow TASsers have used to improve peaty soil?
There is a lot in various books I have read about improving soil but, as one, they all do not advise about peaty soil.

Raised beds with bought in top-soil are an expensive option and, small scale, will be done.
However, for larger beds I would prefer to keep costs down a bit.
currently I am thinking of the addition of Sand and seaweed + sourcing manure and adding home made compost as it becomes available.

Any advice from you other Peat Bog Planters most welcomed.

rgds
Sskye.
Rgds
Sskye

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Improving soil, highlands, peaty and, invariably a wee bit damp!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 10:52:07 am »
We were lucky that ours had been improved over many years . If you are starting from scratch I would first think about drainage then get your neighbours questioned as they will be the experts on soil improvements in your area and the resources to use. I lay my manure on top the the beds all winter to let the worms take it down but you may have to dig it in to encourage the worms as they dont do very peaty soil. I also aquired 75 tonnes of sandy soil from building works by the sea, builders like somewhere close to dump there excess soil! ;)  I made my raised beds from that in the poly and out. My neighbour collects seaweed and lays it on her beds for the winter , I have rights and the beach is only down the front but have never used them . You have to use fresh seaweed as dry is too salty . As I said crofter neighbours are the ones to ask, esecially the older ones as they like going back to the old ways and seeing someone else taking them on. Good luck

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 10:26:25 pm »
You need to do some hugelkultur  :thumbsup:
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

southernskye

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Isle of Skye - Scotland
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 08:49:44 am »
Hugekultur, Ich muß sprechen mit mein deutsche freunden ;D
As long as i am allowed a tractor I'll try anything once ;)

Regarding asking (crofting) neighbours - Already done, they are the seaweed, sand and shi, ahem, manure crew. I've been chatting with them for years but I was just wondering if others had any novel ideas. Of course, where required, lime would also be added to bring a little balance/neutrality to the ph.

Rgds
Sskye

Rgds
Sskye

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 08:36:27 pm »
I use some of my well rotted down muck heap, the stuff that is 2 to 3 years old. Our soil was full of clay but now so much easier to work. My local farmer takes my muck heap once a year, charges me nothing for taking it as he says its worth its weight in gold. I have often seen in our local gumtree horse  muck free for the uplift or help yourself.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS