Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hourly rate advice please!  (Read 8141 times)

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: hourly rate advice please!
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 10:56:47 pm »
Well I am having all my windows replaced at the moment by a bespoke joiner.  A lot of them are gothic type arched windows and I am paying about £1400 per window plus fitting! sash windows are so expensive to replace (a friend in London was quoted something like 10000!) so I do think you are undercharging.  at the end of the day, I think you would be much better off charging per job - unless you are on a site build where it is perhaps more usual for an hourly rate, but then I dare say, that it's the quality aspect that should sell you!

deepinthewoods

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 11:07:40 pm »
ok thats great help, im sort of realising that i might need to relaunch my buisness.
moleskins and greenerlife, were these replacement windows to exactly replicate the originals? when you ordered the windows, what were the requirements, eg did the glass have to be 'heritage' type?

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 11:57:42 pm »
Just so you have some idea - for your highly skilled trade, you are charging what I charge for general ag labour/handyman stuff if people need it; for example I top one persons fields (25ac) using their tractor and their diesel for £15/h.

Seems to me you are far too cheap - you couldn't get someone to mow your lawn using your mower for less than £10/h round here.

bangbang

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 08:41:19 am »
To be honest, differant areas of the country determine the pricing structure, you could try asking your friends in your area to get made up quotes/estimates from other similar type joiners/carpenters to find 'your area' market price.
I know its a bit underhand but knowing your competition is important. :innocent:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 11:53:49 am »
well ive just finished a repair job and billed at £18/h and the guy didnt bat an eyelid. ive just had a 50% payrise yay!!!!!
thanks for all the advice :thumbsup:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 12:21:50 pm »
Well done  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2012, 12:57:48 pm »
I'm a plasterer self employed own business and I charge £20 an hour minimum and that does not includes my transport and material costs . don't sell youself too cheaply if you supply a good service to a very good standard then you are worth every penny.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2012, 12:58:48 pm »
I'm a chippy and I would have said £18 is a good rate you will start loosing business at much more. The problem with being too expensive is in a small community that gets round and you will find the phone stops ringing.Also there are a lot of good chippys out there with little or no work and willing to undercut.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2012, 02:08:27 pm »
ok thats great help, im sort of realising that i might need to relaunch my buisness.
moleskins and greenerlife, were these replacement windows to exactly replicate the originals? when you ordered the windows, what were the requirements, eg did the glass have to be 'heritage' type?

Yes - to a point!  My windows were bodged by the last owner of my house (boo hiss cheapskate) and I am trying to get back as close as I can get to e originals, but with modern glass technology for insulation (and double glazed). Still Leaded glass though.  Whilst our quote listed each window individually priced, as we are going to get all of them done, I will be negoatiating on the overall price, as I believe that if I am replacing 9 gothic arch windows then the set up costs are quite large, but economies of scale etc etc.... (we live in hope)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2012, 10:20:53 pm »
A carpenter I know charges £20 an hour for straight forward woodwork.  I think £18 is too little but you can't put it up too much too soon.  Go for £18 for six months then add a bit more.

allyb

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2012, 10:54:14 pm »
Hi Deep in the woods
I run my own building business and for hrly rates inc all insurances and on costs ie, van, tools,fuel .You cannot charge any less than £18.00per hr. As mentioned in other post there is others who will undercut as it is dog eat dog in the construction industry at the minute but remember you are not a charity.The only other bit of advice is you are only as good as your last job.One good job takes months/yrs for folk to hear of one bad job takes days for people to hear off.Weve just had one off our projects featured in one of the glossy Homebuilding and renovating mags and we didnt even know client had submitted it so was nice surprise.Remember no charitable status in your companies name.  :) :)   

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2012, 10:14:56 am »
I think £18 ph sounds right. I wouldn't think that too much if we ever got round to having our sash windows etc sorted out we'd pay that.

I also seem to remember 'someone' giving me some very useful advice about not underselling my craft and upon that advice I put my prices up and people still continued to buy my soap without any qualms  ;)  Go for it, from what I can gather you are a skilled craftsman and word of mouth will keep you very busy. [size=78%] [/size]
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2012, 10:16:56 am »

Ours did have to look the same as the originals but they had a sealed double glazed unit in and the 'glazing bars' were stuck on after to give the appearance of individual pieces of glass. They also have to put a 'glazing bar' inbetween the double glazed unit to carry off the illusion.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS