Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Apples.  (Read 3985 times)

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
Apples.
« on: August 18, 2012, 12:29:36 pm »
How are your apples trees getting on this year? Are they full of fruit yet? I ask this because due to the funny weather conditions at the beginning of the year, we do not have a single Bramley this year, and even our Calvados apple trees are empty. The blossoms didnt have time to set before the wind and rain blew them off. I just wondered if it was just a local thing to me or whether others are suffering too.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Apples.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 01:27:43 pm »
Hi Mary.  There's nothing much on most of our trees except our lovely Blenheim Orange (apple  :thinking: ) which is covered in fruit - so far  :tree: .  It's the tastiest apple I have ever eaten  :yum:  and seems to do well here when it's too high and too northerly for many varieties  :apple:   Alot of our trees were fooled by an early false spring back in March, followed by bad weather which blasted all the new leaves off, so they had to put energy into growing a new set of leaves, rather than fruit I think.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

the great composto

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 03:08:20 pm »
I have a couple of 4 year old bramleys and I have about 10 apples over both trees.  A few apples on the eaters but my main problam has been pears - just the one pear over three trees.
What can be done to prevent it next year if the weather is similar?

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 03:41:34 pm »
Funnily enough, I have just been outside in this 30 degree heat and counted all three of my Bramleys!  Thatis my total crop!  Some of my baby trees have their first fruit, but I have absolutely no plums or nectarines whatsoever.  The birds ate all my blackcurrants and redcurrants so I am left with lots of raspberries!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 10:39:48 pm »
My apples have done really well this year.  So have the plums but the pears and cherries are rubbish.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 11:22:26 am »
Yes - our Bramleys are doing well. They had a very serious pruning in the winter but that doesn't seem to have made any difference to their output :-)
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

RonMinch

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 08:03:12 am »
Hi same here in Cheshire last year had 150ltrs cider and excess fed to pigs :yum:  will be lucky to get a pie this year, no plumbs either :-[   

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS