Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: which duck?  (Read 3834 times)

WarescotFarm

• Joined Jun 2012
which duck?
« on: August 15, 2012, 10:58:49 am »
I am looking to add some ducks to our flock of chickens.
I am after a small breed that does ok for egg laying.
Any ideas? I heard Call ducks are the smallest but not good layers?
Miniature Falabella, Pygmy Goat, 2 Glouster Old Spots, 1 Long Island Red, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Dark Sussex, 1 Silkie, 1 Magpie Duck and hopefully some more chicks and ducklings due to hatch soon!

Lync

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: which duck?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 11:22:57 am »
 :wave: Hi, we have chickens and have just got some ducks - 2 Aylesbury - lay eggs but not too many and are a larger duck, 2 Khaki Campbells - smaller duck and lay lots of eggs!  Had for 2 weeks and the Khakis are laying well already!   Great fun to watch and great characters.   Good luck and have fun!     :chook:   :dog:   :&> 
2 Border Collies, Hens - 1 Light Susex, 1 Black Rock, 1 Speckledy and 2 Bluebells, 4 Lohmans, 2 Welsumers, 1 speckled maran, 3 Rhode Island Reds and 2 Buff Sussex.

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 11:33:22 am »
We have runners, khakis and a mix of the two!  All good layers, and not massive birds.  We have some runners in the garden at the moment and are really fascinating to watch.  They are getting pretty friendly as well, which has been unusual as our others, aren't bothered about us at all.

Helen

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 12:19:38 pm »
Get some runners!  They're not massive by any means, they lay well, and are endlessly entertaining - basically the closest thing you can get to having your very own flock of penguins  ;D .

Also, they don't seem to like swimming quite as much as our other ducks, which means they'd be happier in a back garden with a shower tray or similar rather than a permanent pond.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

WarescotFarm

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 12:30:10 pm »
Thanks everyone, runners it is!  ;D
Miniature Falabella, Pygmy Goat, 2 Glouster Old Spots, 1 Long Island Red, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Dark Sussex, 1 Silkie, 1 Magpie Duck and hopefully some more chicks and ducklings due to hatch soon!

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 03:18:49 pm »
Can I put in a word for my Minature Apricots.  They are pretty good layers, almost one a day each in the season from about feb, but come July August tend to go broody, but they do make terrific Mums, and all of mine carry the cresting gene, so you could get one like this  :eyelashes: 

The males are not rapists and though they will cope with several females are equally happy as pairs, plus the flock is quiet except for feeding time (can't stand endlessly quacking ducks).  They are small enough that they don't damage the garden when hunting for slugs, but any spare males carry plenty of meat of a very good flavour (apologies to those who don't eat their own birds, but I am from a generation which admired the utility qualities of poultry  :)  )

Of all the breeds of ducks I have kept I have found these to be the best for my purposes.

I do have some spares this year - so if anyone is interested please PM

To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

max01

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 04:32:15 pm »
mallard cross pekins great layers not too big not too small i have 7 2month old ducklings left to go need a good home and love the water

robbiegrant

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cupar. North East Fife
  • The Mighty Kroshka!
    • Exclusive Luxury Holiday Villa for Rent in Goa
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 12:20:44 pm »
After much humming and hawing ( ....and a fair bit of research )we went with the Runners.
Cupar weather http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=cupar
Goa weather http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/43192.html
Escape to paradise - http://www.vaastuvillagoa.com

It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm actually quite busy ;)

happy hen

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 01:09:46 pm »
Miniature silver appleyards are fab......pretty to look at, quieter than most miniature ducks and lay large blue eggs.

WarescotFarm

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 09:28:40 pm »
Do they need a big pond? We just have a paddling pool at the moment
Any pics?

happy hen

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 10:09:26 pm »
 I just uploaded some pics into the marketplace section, they would be very happy with a paddling pool.....I often employ some ducks to clear my veg garden of pests.....they usually stay in there for a week at a time and just have a baby bath with a ramp. Any small pool will need cleaning regularly.....how often really depends on how many ducks you keep. If I have a trio in my veg garden I usually reckon to empty (good for the veggies  :eyelashes:) and refill every other day.
My girls  average 165 eggs each/yr , they usually start laying earlier in the year than my bantam hens too.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 04:31:34 pm »
I love all my ducks, IRs, KCs and the crosses that came with a half Call. All her descendants are very loud!
Womble, your Runners are gab fab! Stunners! My girls are slowing down just now but usually take me through the winter when the hens don't lay.
I'd love to have some black East Indian Bantam ducks one day. I fell in love with them at the Fife show.... :&>

WarescotFarm

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 09:39:19 pm »
oh i LOVE ducks too!
We have Rapunzel the Magpie duck who has been hand raised by my 4 year old - she is the loveliest thing ever (but HUGE)
Everyday I watch those tail feathers thinking please be a girl please be a girl!
Need another batch to hatch
Our runners were all sold at 10 days old  :excited: but now we want more for us
Rapunzel lives with the chooks and must think she is one  ;D

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 11:22:10 am »
We have runners in with the chickens and they get on ok now the ducks are bigger but they did get bullied in the beginning :chook: :bunny: :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS