Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help needed  (Read 4961 times)

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
Help needed
« on: August 13, 2012, 09:29:35 pm »
I will be starting work shortly on an article exposing the illegal practices of gamekeepers. So far through research I  have heard horroundous things such as gangs of gamekeepers lamping at night for the fun of it and killing cats, otters etc when the estates they worked for had an abundance of grouse.  Standing guard close by to where poison has been put down to enable the evidence of dead raptors and other animals to be disposed of quickly before walkers etc came across the carcasses. Myself I have had experience of this "rambo" attitude of the gamekeepers when three cats and a peacock were shot by the next door shooting lodge. Does anyone know of former gamekeepers that I could contact or have stories to tell. I have already spoken to one former scottish gamekeeper who told me things that were quite frankly upsetting and should made public. All individual names of course will be in strictest confidence should I use the information.
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
Re: Help needed
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 12:07:14 pm »
I can't help, but I wish you well with your project.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 12:24:00 pm »
That's horrible! I'd not heard of this before and if it is the case then yes, it needs exposing. Good luck with the story, sorry can't help personally as no experience  :-\
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 12:49:19 pm »
They do tend to blame a poor season on predators (real or immagined) I did once (30 yrs ago) see a Scottish Wild Cat skin nailed to the inside of a gamekeepers shed door.  :rant:

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 01:36:32 pm »
I would suggest speaking to local police wildlife officers - I used to take in bird of prey to rehabilitate - one Friday evening I was contacted by Tayside police asking if I could take in an injured buzzard. I drove in to be presented with a large box - they said they had opened it slightly then called me. I got him home to my hospital unit, gently lifted him out to find one of his lower legs handing by a thread of tissue - there was no way to heal this (presumably from trapping) injury, it also smelt awful. Luckily my vet was on hand and I drove there and he was pts.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 08:31:03 am »
Will you be wanting to know about any gamekeepers who play their part in conservation and animal welfare?
This will make it a more balanced and informative piece of work.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

the great composto

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 09:02:33 am »
Will you be wanting to know about any gamekeepers who play their part in conservation and animal welfare?
This will make it a more balanced and informative piece of work.
I hope so

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 09:44:55 am »
Working in the grouse industry, I very much hope it is going to be a balanced article. There are good and bad keepers out there just like there are in all walks of life.

Helen

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 10:07:36 am »
I agree with Helen. There will always be some people that enjoy killing and torturing animals and as shoots and shooting generates a great deal of money you'll not prevent cruelty happening.

I hate fox hunting with a vengance, but even making it an offence hasn't stopped the torture of hounds, horses and foxes.

I wish you luck with your project, but gamekeepers are not on thier own in killing buzzards and cats, some farmers are just as bad.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 09:35:14 pm »
No this story is not about conservation work,. it is about the uncessary slaughter of animals to keep the grouse numbers up and even animals that don't even effect the grouse. Such as ospreys that only eat fish, so why kill them and otters that are killed becuase they happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time  and a number of rambos think what fun it is to kill them. and pet cats that just happened to cross the fence onto a field that belonged to the shooting lodge. I also take with a pinch of salt that old chestnut about gamekeepers and conservation work,  so no it won't be covering this. This is not just going to be about the many birds that are poisoned or killed as well, it will be covering the evidence and stories i have of rogue gamekeepers and estate owners that put pressure on gamekeepers to kill anything that moves. i will add for helens sake that yes i do agree there are good and bad in every industry, and the feature will reflect this if i hear the evidence.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 09:40:37 pm by rispainfarm »
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 09:49:08 pm »
If you want a paragraph or so of "this is what good gamekeepers are like" then you might want to talk to BASC (British Association of Shooting and Conservation).  http://www.basc.org.uk/en/departments/game-and-gamekeeping/gamekeeping/

You will need a clear understanding of the system if you don't want to be dismissed as a ranting tree hugger  :)

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 09:57:51 pm »
Yorkshire lass, i am no tree hugger but a journalist who has been given this remit and I am gathering evidence so i can then write about it. But saying that it is hard not to feel emotional about things when i am hearing fairly awful stories and research court cases
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 09:59:43 pm by rispainfarm »

www.porkyquines.co.uk

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 10:00:48 pm »
Yorkshire lass, i am no tree hugger but a journalist who has been given this remit and I am gathering evidence so i can then write about it.

No offence intended.

I've just seen far too many articles where the author had a good point, but left themselves open to criticism/outright destruction.

Hope you get the evidence you need :)

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 10:05:21 pm »
no thats fine Yorkshirelass  :) no offence taken. It is always going to be a hot subject.  i will only write in the feature the evidence i have. It is not for me to make judgement but to bring things out into the open to allow others to think about things. 

www.porkyquines.co.uk

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 10:15:06 pm »
RSPB always used to do a raptor survey that showed the number of illegally killed birds of prey and where they were found - often on shooting estates. Police Wildlife Liaison Officers would also give you lots of info and possibly SNH / English Nature
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS