Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats - Best breed & sex for small back garden with horse companion  (Read 4952 times)

WarescotFarm

• Joined Jun 2012
After the theft and continuing drama of the theft of Bella our goat, we are starting to think about what we will do in the future.
We had Bella a female pygmy who was best friends with our mini Falabella in 1/3 acre. I know that sounds small but Holly (horse) used to spend some weekends in another field, they would be out between 3-6 hours a day and had loads of attention from the kids. It was working well.

So now we are thinking we need a companion for Holly again who is miserable.
What breed of goat would suit our space best, another pygmy? Also is a female, intact male or snipped male best?
We need good temperament and good fit for the space.

Thanks
Miniature Falabella, Pygmy Goat, 2 Glouster Old Spots, 1 Long Island Red, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Dark Sussex, 1 Silkie, 1 Magpie Duck and hopefully some more chicks and ducklings due to hatch soon!

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: Goats - Best breed & sex for small back garden with horse companion
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 06:39:07 am »
Perhaps you aught to ask those thieving bastard gypo's what they would prefer.......
 :innocent:

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 06:44:40 am »
On a serious note,  a castrated male would probably be best.....with not concerns on his mindbut eat !!
My Nubian castrates have always been popular with horse owners as they can grow quite sizeable and therefore are treated with respect by the horse/pony.     Ihave also noticed that one of my showjumpers who really likes the goats will always hangout with Nubians rather than the Saanens.

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 11:05:04 am »
I would be moree worried abut them coming back for the falabella. Hope you gret Bella back and don't have to consider a replacement.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 09:41:37 pm »
Re replacement goat - a castrated male of any breed, preferably maybe a cross - not so desirable and stealable with a clear end customer in mind??? - would in my opinion be best. No issues re them being in season and noisy every three weeks in winter, and no udder problems and don't need much feed. I would just make sure to have them well disbudded and buy fairly young ones, so you can teach them what you want them to do rather than taking on someone esle's behaviour...
I would also seriously think about security improvements (visible ones) to your holding.
So sorry to read through all your problems - I was too wound up about it all to reply.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 08:38:56 am »
Every time I read the tittle of this thread ..... :roflanim: .....or is it just me?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 08:40:23 am »
One with whacking great horns might put them off too  :innocent:     Our Savannah is gentle as anything with hers....but potential goat thieves would hopefully be a bit nervous to approach and she is nigh impossible to handle by her collar with them. I don't think a stranger would stand much chance of catching her  :fc:

Tiz!!!!!  just realised what you are  :roflanim: .........just you LOL!!!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 09:34:16 am »
You have got me at it now Tizaala  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

WarescotFarm

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 11:28:16 am »
luckily got Bella back so not an issue
reread title  :roflanim: opps!
Miniature Falabella, Pygmy Goat, 2 Glouster Old Spots, 1 Long Island Red, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Dark Sussex, 1 Silkie, 1 Magpie Duck and hopefully some more chicks and ducklings due to hatch soon!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 04:04:55 pm »
My mind is obviously more pure than some people's.   :innocent:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 10:37:33 pm »
luckily got Bella back so not an issue
reread title  :roflanim: opps!

Brilliant news!
I didn't spot the title either... very slow on the uptake I think...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS