Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what is required to sell our chickens  (Read 2597 times)

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
what is required to sell our chickens
« on: August 13, 2012, 03:35:16 pm »
I have tried looking into this but I either run out of time, kids annoy me or damn OH suggests a new place to live!  Hoping you guys can give me a hand.  We are looking to raise, kill and sell our own chickens, initially to friends and family but maybe friends of friends etc.  What do we need to legally do to comply??  I think we have to get EO out to look at how we do it all and also have a food hygience cert but anythinig else?  I also know we need to register if we have over 50 birds at any time during the year.  Any help much appreciated.
Mel x

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: what is required to sell our chickens
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 04:44:43 pm »
hi
yes you have to register if over 50 birds. (we did this when we registered for pigs etc)
there are regs about killing and then dressing and selling etc
when we asked we were told they had to be separate areas and kill area should be stainless steel!! we decided to do our own and the turkeys we get done for us
Mx

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 09:11:03 pm »
Can't slaughter for sale unless you are a DEFRA registered premises with the regulatory equipment and slaughtermens licences. Can only slaughter at home with simple equipment for your own consumption Melodrama. Whichever way you should comply with the HSA guidelines -Practical Poultry are discussing this subject in a series of articles. The first was in the September 102 issue.

princesspiggy

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 09:27:12 pm »
can u send them to someone else to be dressed? then get back frozen and sell from freezer, all wrapped up. still need EH approval but alot simpler requirements.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 08:33:35 pm »
You would need to send them to someone else for slaughter first PP as they need a vet health check and certifying OK first.

princesspiggy

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 10:10:00 pm »
aye thats what i meant, a friend of mine sends hers away live and they come back ready for sale. apparently the EH was being difficult in allowing them to do it themselves not sure why tho. they were already approved for processing meat so they must be strict in some way.

we do the occassional turkey for friends but it takes sooo long by hand its really not worth it, wud have to be a very good friend...lol

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 09:54:27 am »
Thanks everyone, I'll have a chat with OH about the regs x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS