Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lambs and fleeces  (Read 2830 times)

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
Lambs and fleeces
« on: August 14, 2012, 08:25:35 pm »
I was just wondering what happens to the fleeces after the "final journey"...has anyone sheared them before sending them off?  The lambs are about 5 mths old now....

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: Lambs and fleeces
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 09:06:12 pm »
We've never sheared before they have gone off but so far we've only had a motley crew go off and not with particularly great fleeces in the future though I will be trying to keep some horns but I may not be successful but I am going to try as the Moorits have a good strong horn
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 09:15:34 pm »
Thats a great idea.  I will definately look at that when I do next year.  Not sure what the slaughter house will say - the 'sheepskins' are part of their accepted 'booty' I think.

happy larry

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 09:40:56 pm »
I think FiB is on the money,my local slaughterhouse was only charging £6 to kill a sheep in december,because the fleece value was strong.Not sure of todays prices though.

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 09:51:13 pm »
What a brilliant and simple idea...I had never thought of that but then I tend to send mine off Nov/Dec time so would feel mean sending them off naked... but for warmer months I may well do!!!! My Abbatoir charges £6 to have the skins back but I sell my fleeces for £5 each all day long to the Guild and my shearer only charges me £20 to come out and shear 10 so a profit of £30 towards killing costs before I start. Fabulous! Bumblebear.... are you an Accountant per chance????? LOL Happy Larry.... my abbatoir charges £12 plus £6 splitting fee so the fleece is MINE ALL MINE! MWAH HAHAHAH!
I used a different more local slaughterhouse last time and they gave me my horns back for free from my Shetland ram! They are magnificent. I see horns for sale on Ebay a lot and if reasonably priced they sell...another chunk off the killing and splitting fee.
Just another reason why Shetlands rock  :thumbsup:
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 09:56:44 am »
I was told that if the sheep are rare breed the slaughter houses have to return your fleece if you ask. Don't know if this applies to horns.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 11:59:23 am »
Oh Omnipeasant - fleece or skin? Certainly would like to make an error on that score too as the Moorits have a lovely dense fleece - will really start having to look at my options
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS