Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping Rams together  (Read 19869 times)

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: Keeping Rams together
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 09:10:03 pm »
What would be the chances of my Castlemilk and my shetland rams being ok together - they are both a year old and so far I've not risked it but it would make field management so much easier if they were together ........... any thoughts? thanks
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 09:43:24 pm »
I think they'd be fine eventually, you've just got to introduce them carefully. Most folk pen them tight, so they can't get a 'run up' at each other to begin with. And obviously keep a close eye on things.

You don't want just two though, better with three. Two can just concentrate on fighting all the time, three breaks that up. When I kept two tups together I kept a wether the same age in with them.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 09:47:33 pm »
I have kept my big Suffolk with last year's crossbred tup who will go in freezer this year. He was smaller but always up for a fight. Mostly they get on but we have had to separate them into separate paddocks at shearing and when we move them. Gradually split a paddock with electric and let one in each side, eventually one jumps in with other and they live happily ever after.

Would definitely recommend odd number though and plan to put my youngsters in with Suffolk when crossbreed goes.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 08:43:59 am »
They'll be much the same size, I imagine, and both horned, so they should be fine.  As jaykay says, introduce them in a small space at first so they can't get a good run at each other.  We used to do it in stages - first crammed together (using a hurdle) for half an hour or so, so they start to get used to each other's smell, then give them room to turn around and have a proper sniff, but not room to ram each other, then maybe 6' square-ish, then, (always assuming they are settled each time you increase the space) 10' x 4' (room to make a bit of a run, but a corner the weaker one can hide his head in), then a small paddock or pen.  And not near the ladies for any of this, until they are settled as friends.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2012, 10:04:25 am »
As others have said it is best to pen them up tightly at first. Apart from not being able to take a run at each other they get to rub smells off each other.

My six tups run together from just before lambing until tupping time. There are two horned badgers, two Llanwenogs and two ryeland x. Although it isn't usually a good idea to mix horned and polled, I find it is the oldest polled one who usually takes charge, but without much aggression.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS