Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping Rams together  (Read 19870 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Keeping Rams together
« on: August 11, 2012, 08:53:42 am »
Will rams live hapily with other rams or will they constantly but heads?
I was wondering if its possible to keep a couple together through the year and put them in with a flock each at mating time?
What do other members do?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Keeping Rams together
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 09:02:24 am »
You can, but the ideal is not two but three. Or odd numbers. Two may butt each other constantly, when there's three (or two and a big wether) they can't concentrate on just one other and the whole thing calms down.

I kept a Rough Fell tup and Herdwick tup, plus a Herdie wether, very happily together.

Occasionally you see two Swaledale tups round here with a 2ft chain fastening the left horn of one to the right horn of another - so they can eat and move about but not back up and charge at each other!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 11:52:06 am »
Take care at the reintroducing stage - we always used to pen them up tightly together for an hour, then give them a bit more space but not enough to back up and get a run at each other, until they had got used to each other and each other's smells, then turn them out.

If they are all the same breed, then you should be fine.

There are some do's and don'ts on mixing rams of different breeds, however.

Never run horned tups with polled tups.  Swaledales can kill Blue-faced Leicesters all too easily.   :'( 

And I think you have to be careful mixing aggressive ramming-type breeds with Texels - Beltex & Texel tups tend to fight by shoving and stamping, rather than running and ramming, and don't stamd up well to being rammed by a large Blue-faced Leicester (for instance) with a very hard head running at them from 20 yds away...

I think you have Rylands, Buffy?  I am guessing they are more like Texels - not very aggressive and not very good at fighting?  Or perhaps I'm just being misled by that cute teddy bear image...  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 12:12:41 pm »
Ach bung them all in together, they'll be grand. We used to keep all the tups in one field, lleyns, texels, chevoits and Scottish blackface of all ages. Up to 40 in one field. My own 4 live together all the time with no problems. The only time I hold them up tight for a few hours is just after they have been shorn to let them settle down, they often fight when they realise that their mates have shrunk, not realising that they too have shrunk! With tupping they are generally only split into small groups for the first turn of the tup after which all the ewes and tups are mixed so there is no worries there either. When tupping I do try to keep them in numbers of 1, 3 or 5 and more but never 2 or 4. Just means that if one ewe is cycling there is an odd tup not scrapping to actually get her in lamb.
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 12:20:43 pm »
Well, we have had tups kill each other, so I would definitely err on the side of caution, at least until you have some experience of mixing your tups in your system.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 12:26:13 pm »
Have heard of it happening, caution is better than replacement every time. Once the tups get to know each other then it becomes much easier.
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 01:16:44 pm »
Well for what its worth.....I always keep rams in groups, never polled with horned and it works well.The only argy bargy I get is at shearing when they all change shape and have to beat each other up for a while ::)
I often introduce a new ram by just putting him in with the group, its usually the bottom pecking order ram that has a go at the newcomer! I bought another Ouessant ram yesterday and after drenching and clicking him popped him in with 4 other rams and just kept an eye on them for a while. This morning they are all sitting together cudding and he has obviously found his place! My least agressive ram is boss ram...he just has to tilt his head and the others back down so there is obviously something psycological going on too.

I do keep my rams in a totally different place from the ewes and away from any other sheep so it may be that they are more peaceful because the girls are not in sight or smell.
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 03:58:13 pm »
We do usually chuck all ours in together and let them sort it out. But with us it's more a space issue we haven't got room to let them introduce slowly. 
I[size=78%] take your point it is risky and we do watch for flies on split heads from where they do fight. They only need to become a bit sore and the flies will be in there like a shot.[/size]

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 09:32:11 pm »
Thanks everyone,

it sounds as if most of them can live happily together if they are managed appropriatly but that in some cases the rams can be very agressive.
My Ryelands are a docile polled breed so I would probably get away with it though they would be able to see and smell the ewes.
The odd number thing is really interesting. A similar thing seems to apply to cockerels too.

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 09:38:40 pm »
I have read a few times that firstly, introduce them together in a small pen....small enough so they can't get a run up to butt and injure each other til they just simply accept each other.
I have had tup lambs and rams run together (only 2 or 3 at a time) - they soon sort it out and generally learn respect. Constantly chasing off the others at tupping time tho can wear out the main ram. I find its the rigs that really p**s my rams off...not the other rams!
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 08:41:15 am »
I've got 3 rams in together with 2 wethers.  My Ryeland ram Jasper is usually docile but at times he can be just as butty as the others!  Definitely not one to turn your back on.  He was my sole ram until I bought some Gotland and Zwartbles ram lambs, I put these two in pens next to each other for a while in a stable then put them out in a paddock.  They spent the whole of the first day butting each other like hell so I don't actually know if penning them made any difference! But after a few days the pecking order had been sorted (1) Zwartbles 2) Gotland) - mainly by the sheer bulk of the Tas the Zwartbles.

Having watched the antics of these two I wondered how Jasper would get on particularly as he'd had a bad leg - when he went into the paddock it ended up Jasper vs Tas.  Buster the Gotland realised he was not up to the size and strength of the other two but he joined in the fight by trying to mate with Jasper while he was busy butting Tas  ;D ;D

It didn't take long before Tas conceded that Jasper was the reigning champion and they all settled down peacefully, though not before Buster had tried to mate with the wethers  ::) .  All are a very happy family at the mo!

They are kept in sight of the ewes but have a dead space between them and there hasn't been any problem.

1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 02:53:38 pm »
We put two of this year's ram lambs (Wilt Horns) in with their dad and they seem to be fine.  They had a good old sniff at each other first and then just put their heads down and started eating.  They are in a large field but are always close together.  Haven't witnessed any head butting etc. but maybe we have been lucky.  Our ram is quite tame (for a ram!).  I was not aware that there could be any real problems.  Perhaps we will be more careful next year when we introduce them.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 02:45:14 pm »
A warning from a colleague.  Last year they bought in 3 tups (Dorset Down, I think). One killed the other two - and they were brothers always kept together.  Her husband is an experienced farmer :-\ :-\ .

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 08:09:07 pm »
I keep mine all together although none of mine are BFL, which i'm sure woyld be happy to die if another ram so much as looked at them in an agressive manner..... :innocent:

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 09:02:58 pm »
I keep  all my rams together. They may have the odd rumpus, but live quite happily together.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS