Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: TICKS!!!!  (Read 4443 times)

otto

• Joined May 2009
  • Suffolk
TICKS!!!!
« on: August 10, 2012, 02:45:00 pm »
Hi all,
I have never had a problem before, but this morning when my 5 GOS got up from their arc for their breakfast I noticed that they were riddled with ticks crawling all over them and trying to get a bite. Fortunately it apperared that they couldn't break through their touch skins, but some had. Those few that did manage had not swollen, so perhaps they couldn't penetrate into the blood supply.
I plan to move the arc tomorrow morning and burn the bedding. Do I need to worry?...is this normal? Should/can I use dog "spot on" remedies?
All advice from the sages on this forum, as always, most welcome!
Otto from Suffolk....

Re: TICKS!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 02:59:40 pm »
Hi,

Clean out and move the arks - burn the bedding

There are several parasite powders on the market for lice / ticks etc - generally applied to the bedding, so default ends up on the animal.

No - Dont use a product that is not licenced or approved for the animal you are treating - especially if they are due to go to the freezer. I know that some people recommend the use of several unlicenced (for species) products but you must use one that is approved.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 04:12:17 pm »
I'd normally say inject them with a wormer/parasite control straight away - but these have a 4 week withdrawal time normally, so could scupper your slaughter plans (if you've made any)
If they're not due to go off anytime soon, get them jabbed or ask your vet about licenced external treatments that could be used on them - sooner rather than later  ;)

I'd say same as SfS - get the bedding out, away and burned, wash your arc out and disinfect and move it to a new site asap  :thumbsup:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 04:19:48 pm »
If you can get some Guinea Fowl on your land, they love to eat ticks.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 06:28:29 pm »
Dog "spot on" is the wrong formulation and dose, so no don't use that.

I'd take the hit on waiting the 4 week withdrawl and jab them, will clear it up staright away, so'll they'll not get knocked back. 

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

otto

• Joined May 2009
  • Suffolk
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 08:54:26 pm »
I was amazed this evening when I came home........they had laid thousands of eggs on the poor blighters! I took off as many as possible with a nit comb just to give them some respite. I have moved the arc, burned the bedding and put in a new bale of straw. I will get some injections from the vet first thing as I have 6 weeks till slaughter. I guess I should burn that bedding once they are inoculated and move the arc once more.

Has anyone else seen such sudden infestations?

Thank God for the Internet and thank God for this forum. It is wonderfully reassuring to be able to acces so much experience so easily. Thank you all so much for the advice!

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 09:48:56 pm »
Yes otto burn the bedding once they have been jabbed. Have never had ticks before, sounds like you have been unlucky.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 01:33:04 pm »
Are they definitley ticks? Tick don't lay eggs on the beasts I didn't think?

Lice and other crawlies do though but I don't know if it will be all the same medication?
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 04:57:02 pm »
Are they definitley ticks? Tick don't lay eggs on the beasts I didn't think?

Lice and other crawlies do though but I don't know if it will be all the same medication?

Suspect they're actually lice, Lice and mites hve the same mediacation.  Don't think ticks bite pigs as they can't get though to a good blood source - thick skin and fat later.
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

otto

• Joined May 2009
  • Suffolk
Re: TICKS!!!! or not ????
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 09:37:12 am »
Yep, you are all right... they were lice and boy there were a lot of them! As some of you said, the treatment was the same so all is now well after a jab on Saturday morning. This was much easier than the last time I injected pigs. The vet recommeded a sub cutanious  injection in the softer tissue behind the ears rather than the intra muscular shot in the nape which I used last time. They hardly flinched! If I had know how easy and effective this was, I wouldn't have bothered spending ages on Friday night with a nit comb!!! :thumbsup:

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 10:58:51 am »
Glad they're doing better now Otto  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS