Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: i want to reuse an old hen house  (Read 2829 times)

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
i want to reuse an old hen house
« on: August 10, 2012, 11:33:10 am »
Hi, does anyone know how long i would have to leave my old hen house empty before re-using it for my large rabbit.
I would obviously spray and clean it out fully, but i'm not sure if i would need a period of time empty for all the bugs mites etc to die off before putting bunny in it or if indeed they would affect the bunny at all. I know i wouldn't want to live with chicken fleas or mites so i'm sure my rabbit wont.
I thought about 3 weeks would do it.
Any ideas?
Thanks

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: i want to reuse an old hen house
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 03:55:39 pm »
In the past we had 2 rabbits. They had their own multi storey hutch but shared a large run with our hens via a sort of access tunnel. They often ventured into the hen house, too. They didn't seem to catch /suffer from any bugs and were always very healthy.

Your precautions sound fine to me  ;D

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 09:13:05 pm »
I would recommend a minimum of 6 months Feldar. That's how long Red Mite can live and you won't have killed them all. Not sure if they can live on Rabbits but they bite me and I have heard of an infested sofa the dog slept on.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 06:35:24 pm »
Thanks guys, my hubby wants to put a match to it but it's a really big house and run so its a shame to waste it. We have had red mite badly this year the little blighters are a pain in the bum :'(

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 08:16:26 pm »
You could always strip it down and creosote it (best mixed 50:50 with paraffin) to kill all the mite. Weatherboarded sides need to be painted when they are upside down to get the mix into the tongue and groove. Then leave it stripped down for at least a month to lose the smell. At least you know then you won't get mite in there for a year. Should be done every 12 months but not necessary to strip it right down but wear a proper chemical mask because the fumes made me very ill.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 09:50:37 pm »
Thanks guys, my hubby wants to put a match to it but it's a really big house and run so its a shame to waste it. We have had red mite badly this year the little blighters are a pain in the bum :'(
I can't seem to get control of them this summer >:( , I'm spraying as much as possible even though I hate using chemicals.  The diatom powder didn't seem to be enough.
Tis a shame to waste the house...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS