Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bottle jaw in goat kid  (Read 2482 times)

earlybird

• Joined Jun 2012
bottle jaw in goat kid
« on: August 09, 2012, 07:56:27 pm »
i have a six month old kid showing signs of bottle jaw i gave her panomec 7 weeks ago so i have given her another dose today is there anything else i can or need to do for her thankyou

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: bottle jaw in goat kid
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 08:32:52 pm »
She needs treating with fluke medicine too. That's a common cause of bottle jaw. You now need one that is just for fluke (Fascinex for example) rather than a combined one, as you've already wormed her.

Some years ago, I had a goat that got sort of 'poochy' about the jaw and cheeks. I thought that's how she was but my sheep-keeping neighbour said 'that goat wants fluking' and sure enough when I did it, her face and jaw slimmed down.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 10:15:36 pm by jaykay »

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 09:59:31 pm »
What's bottle jaw?

Beth

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 10:52:04 pm »
Hmmm, read up a few things about it. Thanks Dans.

I do have concerns about this, yes several items I have read state that bottle jaw is caused by worms or fluke, but actually there are many other things that could cause the same symptoms. By all means try the fluke medicine, but I would probably speak to my vet as well and ask for their advice. On my (quick) google search, I noted bottle jaw is also a symptom of Johnes disease, Coxy, just a plain abscess, an raised salivary gland! Mineral imbalances.....

Asking your local farmers will tell you if your local area is a likely risk for fluke. This isn't the time of year I would expect fluke to be bad, but then it as been so wet that it is completely possible this year.

Beth

earlybird

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 11:22:01 pm »
thanks for that info pretty sure its bottle jaw matches up with all the photos ive googled we live on the edge of marshland and its been really soddened and spongy only been putting them out to pasture when dry enough although probably in ground due to the excess wetness inbetween time

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 09:28:38 pm »
The NADIS forecasts suggest fluke is likely to be a bigger problem this year because of the wet.

How's she doing Earlybird?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS