Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Saffron  (Read 8202 times)

smallholder in the city

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Lincolnshire
    • HootersHall
Saffron
« on: August 08, 2012, 08:59:20 pm »
Has anyone else tried growing Saffron? Just planted my first 50 bulbs. I'm growing them in containers because I'm not confident I'll be able to keep them dry enough during the dormant period if they are outside. They should bloom around October but from what I've read the first year I might not get a full harvest only need three threads per person though so hopefully we'll have enough for the two of us.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: Saffron
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 09:25:02 pm »
No, but I have been thinking of doingitfor ages.  Where did you source your bulbs from as a matter of interest?

deepinthewoods

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 09:38:33 pm »
they used to be planted in ridges, to help them stay dry. thats all i know! hth. :tree:

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 07:30:01 am »
I'm expecting my saffron bulbs to turn up any day now  :excited:
I will be planting them in an old wheelbarrow. I have no idea how to look after them hope they come with instructions  :fc: .
Ordered  my bulbs from Dobies of Devon if that is any help to you Greenerlife.

smallholder in the city

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Lincolnshire
    • HootersHall
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 10:03:21 am »
Got mine from Crocus.
Did a bit of research online about growing them and the most important bit seems to be keeping them dry in the dormant period which is from about April time when the leaves die back to start of Autumn when you get new growth. Apaprently this is to stop the bulbs rotting. They should flower in Autumn then the leaves remain until dieback in Spring.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 06:59:47 pm »
Saffron Walden in Essex was the main growing area in Britain from the 16th to 18th Centuries.  :thinking: It was grown mainly by the monks from the nearby Abbey.  It is one of the driest parts of the country.  We tried to grow it when we lived near there but our soil was clay and too heavy.   :thumbsup: (and we were not good gardeners  ;D )

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 04:16:14 pm »
Did think about trying some here , but i live in Wales . At best it's like the Somme , and that is in summer !
Would be better off trying rice . I wonder if i should grow it in paddy fields or taffy fields ?
As for saffron , i went with pot marrigolds in the end .

smallholder in the city

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Lincolnshire
    • HootersHall
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 01:23:43 pm »
There is a grower in Wales here's the link: http://britishsaffron.co.uk/

smallholder in the city

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Lincolnshire
    • HootersHall
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 06:57:25 pm »
The first of my Saffron has flowered. I planted 30 bulbs in a wooden trough and 20 in individual pots. All bar one pot has started growing and the first flower appeared yesterday. I kept them in the polytunnel and didn't water at all until the first shoots appeared 2 weeks ago. Since then they've been watered once a day.
Here's a link to some pics of the first flower, troughs and pots
http://s1186.beta.photobucket.com/user/smallholderinthecity/library/Saffron
We'll be harvesting the first Saffron tomorrow when the flower is fully open and drying it to store :)

deepinthewoods

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 07:35:00 pm »
very well done!!

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 08:06:57 pm »
It amazes me how some of you plan and do such interesting things. It would never have occured to me to grow saffron.
 It does strike me though that the saffron I have used seems to change in quality so much. We have a nice ammount of some "asian" saffron given to us by a friend - but we have to use twice as much of it compared to the expensive stuff we have used in the past. Anyone else noticed such differences?
Think i'll look up growing it now.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 09:22:49 pm »
Inspired by this thread, I did buy some bulbs and planted 50 of them in pots.  They came up in double quick time and last week a couple started flowering.  Am checking every day for new flowers, and have 'harvested' 4 so far!  Only another 46 to wait for!  I was planning to put all the stamen in my dehydrator, but I have just put them in  shallow bowl and the ones I have picked have already dried thoroughly out. Then God only knows how I am going to treat the bulbs. We've had so much rain since they went in and I can't see it stopping any day soon.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS