Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How Friendly Are Your Sheep?  (Read 10582 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: How Friendly Are Your Sheep?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 07:05:35 am »
2 of the kids who's parents own the gypsy cobs grazing next to our field, nipped through our field to come ask me if I wanted to buy some hay. I knew something was up from 100 metres away as the sheep went berzerk - they were running, bleating, jumping and made me come running out to see what was up. And that was about a 5 and 8 yr old - hopefully thye'd be even more vocal about adults  :-\

Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Newsheep

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 09:27:07 am »
I work from home and have recently moved my office to a bedroom looking over my fields.  I unfortunately have a footpath running across one field and have howled watching my tup give the impression of being a fericious beast when anyone dares to walk across his field.
What with him and the cockeril screeching at the sight of anything strange it is a wonder I get any work done

I keep all my gates chained and locked as I have styles for the footpath but it is amazing how many people climb over the gate or try desperately to open it - weird

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 09:41:21 am »
I am working at getting mine friendly. They come for food when I shout and one or two will eat from my hand. But they are smart - they can sense when I'm even thinking of doing something to them or if I'm looking at one in particular even from behind  ::) As for a dog - they run over to see what it is  :D

Got to gather them for shearing (at last!) this afternoon so I'll see how I get one - will start early  :P

Personally I'd rather they were more tame and easy to deal with -  no-one is going to steal my funny little sheep when there are so many juicy, fat ones in everyone else's fields.

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 10:25:47 am »
Most of mine are stupidly friendly and will follow anyone with a bucket :-[
BUT good gods they are noisy whilst doing so! Where we graze there are  people that would be instantly on the alert if my guys kicked off with the noise as they all know they sheep only shout like that is someone is there.

But yes I do worry, I have OCD I ALWAYS worry :D
That is nearly identical to what I was gonna write. Mine are ridiculously tame.... it's getting them OUT of the trailer that I have the problem with - they WANT to go for 'rides' tho' in all fairness my Shetlands are the least friendly and strangers would never catch them.  My orphans and commercials are really tame...the ewes will get in the back of the car if I leave the back door open and wait for a nice trip somewhere and my lambs will go to anyone (as they are furious about their weaning and are convinced that SOMEONE SOMEWHERE has a bottle for them) but like Colliewoman says, are so vocal when people go up to them they would wake the whole of Somerset.
I would, literally, curl up and die if they got stolen tho'.
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2012, 11:25:09 am »
Our bottle fed lamb still comes to us as soon as we go in the field and our old Mules will come to the bucket (one will come just to have her back scratched!).  However, our Wilt Horns are nowhere near as friendly.  The ram will come to the bucket, but the others are not so keen.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2012, 12:15:24 pm »
My Gotlands are a mob of hooligans when fuss or food is about, but try and do anything faintly suspicious or out of the ordinary and the distance between you and them increases very swiftly. You've got to be very nonchalant re treatment. We've worked out that if they think you've got your eye on someone else nearby then you can quickly veer off and grab the one you really intended to.
It won't last for long, they're like The Borg, they adapt to our wiley ways.

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2012, 02:39:17 pm »
Yup, mine too are fairly friendly...I love it when they think I have turned the lekky off the fence- but havn't!!HA HA but they will try it again tommorow!

I do worry about the morning (and evening) greeting as it sometimes seems SO loud. Well the holidaymakers in the hayhotel on the end HAVE come to the countryside. The other two houses on our fiel borders are empty...(One for sale only 20,000 euro if you want it!)

Newsheep

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2012, 08:32:49 pm »

[/quote]

I know exactly what you mean, hubby says they are only sheep but I know he loves it when they run over to greet him  :sheep:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2012, 08:07:46 am »

I know exactly what you mean, hubby says they are only sheep but I know he loves it when they run over to greet him  :sheep:

I wish mine did - I think he's absolutely terrified of the "woolly monsters" in our orchard!! so far this year, I do believe he's picked a grand total of 10 plums as opposed to the kids and I who are on about 10 baskets of plums  ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2012, 08:33:25 am »
Have you said that you think he's scared of them, ickle woolly lambs?  A lot of men I know, that would have them out there picking plums like mad, just to show you he isn't (the idea)  ;)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2012, 10:12:04 am »
Have you said that you think he's scared of them, ickle woolly lambs?  A lot of men I know, that would have them out there picking plums like mad, just to show you he isn't (the idea)  ;)

Good Plan Jaykay!! And if I mention that he's scared of dogs, we might get one of them too  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS