Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cost of running with the bull?  (Read 2422 times)

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
Cost of running with the bull?
« on: August 09, 2012, 11:20:18 am »
We have recently bought two Herefords.  They are lovely looking girls and hopefully will gradually replace our Dexters.  A friendly farmer offered to let them run with his herd, including his pedigree Aberdeen Angus bull for a few weeks.  He won't charge us anything but we would like to get him a gift.  However, I have no idea what it would normally cost to run the girls with a bull.  I don't want to embarass him (the farmer, not the bull!) or us by getting it wrong.  So, the question is, can anyone tell me what it would normally cost?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Cost of running with the bull?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 01:47:43 pm »
Congratulations on your new girls.  We'd love to see pics...  ;D

I would expect your friendly farmer would find a bottle of Scotch (Famous Grouse is usually the favourite hereabouts) very acceptable.  ;)  And a homemade cake or similar always goes down well, if you are that way inclined.

His costs will be minimal, since they'll be at grass.  You're saving a couple of AI fees, so a bottle of nice Scotch and a cake is about right, I'd think.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 02:58:07 pm »
Agree with Sally, theres very few who dont appreciate a nip or a nibble up here. Proper fruit cake has had top reception from my recipients, followed oddly by iced fairy cakes (I think they make a good fly (teatime snackie) when they have been out in the fields.
We follow it up with another bottle of Scotch at Christmas or Hogmanay.

mark@farmhouse

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 07:43:52 pm »
Yes a nice bottle of your choice would go down well that is what we give and have received for use we were very pleased also offer of help at busy time of year would also be welcomed

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 02:44:38 pm »
Thanks for that.  We usually give him a bottle of malt for letting a few of our ewes run with his ram but thought that the cost of cattle would be much higher.  Good idea about the cake, home made things always go down well. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS