Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: piggies  (Read 2817 times)

gavin davies

• Joined Feb 2013
piggies
« on: February 12, 2013, 11:18:32 am »
 :wave: hi everyone after the dissapointment of the weekend and us not having the little ones i have found someone who has 3 8 month old kunekune pigs for sale i have been to see them and will probably be getting them on the weekend just a couple of questions

1.although they are a small breed are they fully grown at 8 months?
2.the area that i fenced off is 30ft by 30ft as i was originally only having the two piglets and i was going to fence the rest off when they were settled in and i could get a full day to clear the rest as is is toatally covered with fallen tree branches and stingy nettles would this area be enough for them at the moment and would the pigs clear the nettles or not or would it be easier to wait until it is all fenced off and cut down to get them and let them in

many thanks

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
Re: piggies
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 11:31:46 am »
The majority of pigs will happily eat nettles.. although they can be like humans and some have there favorites flavours but when everything else is eaten they'll chomp and clean nettles, brambles, thistles etc etc

If you decide that you want to spray though don't forget the withdrawal period normally around about 2 weeks..

The first pigs I got I used Grazon to kill off the thistles, as I was worried about there noses, the only thing it did was make bare patches in the ground that allowed the pigs to start turning earth :)

As to 30 by 30 it's plenty of space in the dry just wont last as long in the wet

gavin davies

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 12:24:27 pm »
hi there sorry what do you mean spray

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 12:30:33 pm »
hi there sorry what do you mean spray
he means spraying weedkiller on the nettles & thistles.
Mandy :pig:

gavin davies

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 12:32:50 pm »
ok thanks sorry i realised fter i typed it soory for sounding so thick  :idea: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 12:34:19 pm »
piggies = giant rotavators let them do the hard work for you!!!

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 12:41:11 pm »
Defo don't spray.  The piggies will enjoy chomping the nettles and digging up their roots, and they'll have a good rummage through any fallen wood.  Fallen branches make good rubbing posts :).

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 02:29:13 pm »
Hi Gavin,

No, at 8 months old your Kunekunes are a way off being fully grown yet. They'll grow until they're about 2 - 2.5 years old. They don't get massive, but they do get bigger than most folks imagine  ;)

They'll be fine in the smaller area for a few weeks, but deffo get the bigger area fenced and let them out into it sooner rather than later  :thumbsup: They'll cope fine with nettles and if it's rough, scrubby ground they'll turn it over for you and fertilise it as they go.

Good luck with them and keep us posted  :thumbsup:
Karen

jellybean

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 04:51:16 am »
 I would not spray any where where there are pigs, they will clear it in good time without that extra expense...pigs are good for doing such work!

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS