Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: they have arrived  (Read 1873 times)

gavin davies

• Joined Feb 2013
they have arrived
« on: February 13, 2013, 02:07:11 pm »
hi everyone i finally picked up the pigs yesterday afternoon they are 8 month old and settling in nicely but i am a little concerned that one of them is not eaten well but he is a bit smaller that the other two so maybe he has not been getting much food in the first place i have tried to separate  them off for feeding as two are eating everything and wont let him have anything but even then he was not that fussy on eating maybe because its new surroundings and will take a day or so to get used to it he is drinking well though should i be concerned or wait a couple of days went up to see them about an hour ago and they were all cuddled up nicely out of the rain we have here  this weather is mental snowed heavy this morning now its raining wish it would stop

HappyHippy

Re: they have arrived
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 02:55:15 pm »
Glad to hear they've arrived and are settling in  :thumbsup:

Sounds like the 2 bigger ones have been used to bullying the wee one out the way, and he's just gotten used to it  :-\ But you do get quite a range of sizes even from one litter of Kunekunes.
If it's possible to seperate them at feeding time that would be ideal, otherwise spread their food out in a long line so there's room for them all to feed. Just keep an eye on him, it could be lack of food or it could be something else.
We've found with greedy ones, individual trugs and shared troughs don't work because they gobble theirs down quick then shove the others out the way to get to theirs  ::) Spreading out in a long line (assuming you've got solid ground, not mud, works really well  :thumbsup:

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 03:10:32 pm »
I'd go with what HH says as well, also it can take a day to get used to new food imagine children who get chicken nuggets and chips every meal and then you put real veg and an actual breast of chicken in front of them. Although it will only take a few days with pigs to adapt and no tantrums  :excited:

Oh and congrats on being part of the pig keeping gang

jellybean

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 04:34:31 am »
If you took the smaller one out and fed it separately you might just find it will put on weight and catch up some what to the others. Give the others less the the smaller one more.  Dont want pets to bloom out to over sized pigs.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS