Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice from a dog expert please  (Read 8159 times)

Liz M

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Carrick on Suir - Tipperary
Advice from a dog expert please
« on: August 06, 2012, 01:25:02 pm »
I am having problems with my 2 year old adopted mongrel.  He has been with us for approx 4 months now and he pee's up the table leg or the door every morning, even though the door is open.  At first I thought it was him marking his territory as I have another male dog, but he is continuing to do it - it's just a little spray, not as if he is desperate to pee.  I have used the usual products, but nothing is working, even 'rubbing his nose'! My OH is now saying he will have to live outside unless I can cure him! Help please he is the gentlest dog and loves to be looked after.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Advice from a dog expert please
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 01:26:55 pm »
Is he castrated?

Liz M

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 01:32:23 pm »
Oh yes, forgot to say that - he is.

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 01:43:00 pm »
Questions
1)Where is he in the pecking order with the other dog? This might be him trying sneakily to assert his position if he is an underdog.

2)Has the other dog peed at some time on the table legs and he is marking the scent already there?

3) What is his walking routine?

This is definately some form of marking and I would suspect insecurity. Rubbing his nose in it is an old and fruitless practice, so don't do it. Will wait for your answers before I comment further. But well done for adopting him.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 01:43:06 pm »
If it's not hormones ( because he is castrated  :thumbsup: ) then modifying his behaviour may help.
Do not chastise him, this will make it worse if he is seeking attention.
I would start again from puppy training basics. Can you crate him at night? ( they don't like to wet their own beds usually)

Liz M

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 02:28:21 pm »
Well, lets see........... my other dog is a 6 year old Jack Russell, definitely the boss and Barney my adoptee is always wanting him to play and will nip him to get him to chase him, but as you know JRs don't take orders very well, but this could be the case as he is a little pushy. How would I change that.  In any case I'm the pack leader.......... I think!!
The JR has never pee'd indoors, so don't think it's that
He likes to be out most of the day in the field and goes for walks in the evening.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 02:42:07 pm »
What have you cleaned the table leg with? Some products smell like wee to the dog and encourage more marking in the same spot.
In the meantime I'd be physically taking him out (on the lead if necessary) and shutting yourselves out while he wees on a morning.
You can also get "pee posts" from Pets at home that are supposed to tempt the dog to wee only on them, perhaps this scent-based redirection will help?

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 03:07:09 pm »
How long have you had him? It sounds like an insecurity problem The worst thing you can do is tell him off, he's marking his territory in the only way he knows how and this is a comfort for him if he's not entirely sure he belongs. He will continue to do this as long as he feels he's not a confirmed member of the pack, albeit at the bottom where most dogs prefer to be. Rub a paste of Bi-carb and water over the table leg to take the smell away and never, ever shout at him even though you could happily kick him over the doorstep :o 
Does he do it when you go out of sight? Tell him, back in a minute, wait five seconds and go back. If he hasn't peed praise him, then ten seconds etc.
(I wish Dogandjo would come back, if only for this problem. PM me, Annie with more advice if you read this and I'll pass it on.xx)
Hope this helps a bit :) :dog:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 04:13:20 pm »
Personally if it is in a morning I'd crate him and take him straight out when you get up, don't let him back in until he pees, then lots of praise. Just like a pup. A DAP plugin may help settle him more too, in case it is insecurity.

Bio washing powder neutralises pee smell too, for washing where he has peed.

It's going to take time to sort. Has it just started. If so is there a change in routine etc.

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 04:31:22 pm »
I wouldn't five him the chance of doing it. Stick him on lead and whip him out and praise loads when he has peed outisde.

Helen

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 06:43:41 pm »
Sorry, have been busy sheepdogging. Tups were a bit boistrous.

I echo what mammyshaz says about the crate if necessary. But first, it must become part of your delay routine to walk him more than once. You can praise him with some kind of command when he wees. I use 'busy' for a poo and 'wee wees' for the leg cocking. If you say it when he does he will associate the command eventually. 

If you only think you are the pack leader then you probably aren't! :innocent:

Most imoportant part of this is to either take him out or put him out and close the door or stay with him until he has weed first thinfg before anything else. If he is weeing before youget up then a crate will be necessary overnight and take him out as soon as you get up. 

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 07:15:37 pm »
I think I would try the crate idea.

Can you call him to you as soon as you enter the room, slip on the leash and take him straight outside and praise when he cocks a leg outdoors?

I had a dog from my father, who had lived in a kennel, previous to me taking him. He was a trained gundog but quite a hyperactive sole. He would do a similar thing when excited, especially when greeting people. I would tell him no but not shout at him or make a big fuss. Stopped after a short time of readjustment. If he is a gentle dog ... try not to show too much emotion if you can .... could be insecurity still.

Liz M

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 10:37:50 pm »
Thank you everyone :thumbsup:
I will continue to take him out and not let him in til he pees. I think it may be he still feels he doesn't know his place. He is very playful also and can get so excited in the mornings when I get up that he actually doesn't remember why I take him out.
Well I've washed all the table legs ready for a new day tomorrow and I'll give feedback. 
I have had dogs all my life and never had such problems before, it's always been the older dog virtually showing the young one. JRs obviously aren't natural teachers!!

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 06:21:58 am »
Dont forget to wash under the table legs as well because the pee will have soaked up into the end grain and retained the smell  :thumbsup:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 06:56:00 am »
I wouldn't five him the chance of doing it. Stick him on lead and whip him out and praise loads when he has peed outisde.

But it's not the need for a pee that makes them do it. It's insecurity that prompts them to mark their territory. "This is my place,now everyone know that I belong here" I'm not a dog behaviourist by any means( and that may be your best bet) but having dogs in numbers for more than forty years has given me a small insight into how they think and react  and they think like dogs, not humans. Poor old chap, I hope you can sort him out :dog:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS