Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to stop sheep eating trees  (Read 17523 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
How to stop sheep eating trees
« on: August 05, 2012, 07:36:03 pm »
I bumped into my vet today at the local show and was chatting about the arrival of my sheep. he told me that his sheep had destroyed the mature trees in his orchard. I have oak, birch, ash and ornimental cherry in my orchard along with fruit trees and canes. Whats the best way to protect the trunks of mature trees?
would wrapping chicken wire round the trunks a few times prevent the sheep from taking the bark off ??? .

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: How to stop sheep eating trees
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 08:25:40 pm »
Sheep love fruit trees and will massacre fruit bushes! I have one field that is a woodland pasture and we have secure fenced areas of birch and hazel, mature oaks they will not touch. However you must be careful re acorns from mature oaks.

Another field where I keep sheep has fruit trees and they have tree guards around them....4 fence stakes about 2ft from trees in square with stock wire strained and even so they will climb on the wire to try and get the trees!......and most of my sheep are small ones!

Wrapping chicken wire will just help them climb up the tree and will ultimately damage the bark as it will grow into it so if you value your trees do it properly!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: How to stop sheep eating trees
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 11:15:51 pm »
It is true that you should do it properly, but as the sheep are arriving tomorrow chicken wire wrapped loosely around the trunks will help until you can do the work.   Even with proper cages built the sheep will jump for overhanging branches and leaves.   Our Soay are particularly fond of golden gages and will jump to get them to quite a height - just before they are ripe ::) 8)
I have found that for temporary protection, you can place four tall canes close in to the trunk then wrap chicken wire around that - the tall kind is best, or use two x 3 foot height one on top of the other.  But do remember to remove it before next season when the trees will be growing.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS