Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: over spun wool  (Read 7596 times)

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
over spun wool
« on: May 07, 2009, 07:11:17 pm »
anyone help me out here, I have been playing on my spinning wheel but i am over twisting the yarn some how. I have been playing with the tension but this didn't really help. I was thinking it was my textured wool but it seems to feed ok but then start to over twist and then get stuck after it over twists

Linz

MurmuringWheel

• Joined Aug 2008
Re: over spun wool
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 08:40:19 pm »
It isn't getting caught up on the hooks is it?

I sometimes find that in certain types of wool, a few fibres wrap around the hook and stop it pulling in. If you hold either end of the thread that is through the hooks and just pull it backwards and forwards a few times, you will sometimes feel it or hear the caught hairs snapping.

Hope this helps,
Diane
www.murmuringwheel.co.uk Handspinning, knitting, crocheting services, spinning tuition and demonstrations at events nationwide.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 09:54:28 am »
thank you , one of mum's friend though maybe i was holding on to the wool to long so i'll have another go a bit later today.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 11:37:44 am »
i think i have got it ,
I't not my spinning at all it's down to the way i have prepared the wool before carding, The fleece is what i have research a 1st clipping so it has all whirly bit in it and it is that , that is getting stuck in the orafics
So am sitting with wool on lap teasing out all the wool

Linz

MurmuringWheel

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 01:02:17 pm »
Glad you got it sorted. The other thing I was going to suggest was if you have been spinning raw fleece, although I guess you will use washed, the grease and sheep muck can clog up the orifice too.

Must admit, I avoid carding if at all possible! But if all it is taking is that bit extra time teasing to make it easier spinning for you it is worth the trouble.

Happy spinning,
Diane
www.murmuringwheel.co.uk Handspinning, knitting, crocheting services, spinning tuition and demonstrations at events nationwide.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 02:32:55 pm »
Well i don't think am doing to bad with it at the moment, I officialy learnt to spin, some times when i was under the age of 10 and havn't touch anything to do with wool /spinning untill this year again and am now in my late 20's, Occasionaly i have found i have forgotten things but i definatly havn't for got how to spin i think it was the process before and after lol.

Linz

MurmuringWheel

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 04:15:20 pm »
You sound to be doing alright with it. I learnt when I was 16, I'm now nearly 22 and spinning for a living and demonstrating it most weekends! I have managed to rope the family in too, there are five of us who spin out of a family of six. It seems to be a bit addictive  ;)

It's good for stress relief and relaxation though and the wheel I take out regularly is good exercise too as it's a Walking Wheel, so I can't sit down to use it.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 06:58:40 pm »
I have no idea what my wheel is , it's a bit of an oddity, the flyer work better on the 'wrong side' of the mother of all, and to me it look the wrong way around.
but it works :)

and i have fun with it ,lol

Linz

MurmuringWheel

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 07:14:17 pm »
Now you have got me intrigued! ;D

As long as you have fun, that's the most important bit.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 07:38:34 pm »
here is a picture it is on itside because if i turn it i get distored and looks even weirder lol

like this

I appoliges for the picture quality but I can't find the charger or the other set of batteries for my own camera

MurmuringWheel

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 10:20:20 pm »
Pretty!

We have one similar, we think it is Lithuanian, ours has a slightly longer bed and the lazy kate only holds three bobbins, not four like yours, but otherwise it is almost identical.

If it is the same sort of thing, the joints will all take apart, the idea was that they could take it completely apart, put it in a bag and take it from village to village to wherever there was something to spin.

Has it got a really tiny orifice?  From the size of the wheel I would think it was originally a flax wheel.

It's a really lovely wheel though, it's nice to see something other than the usual Ashfords.

Diane

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 10:23:54 pm »
hey, Linz, how about a spinning lesson for CSSA?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 09:58:30 am »
I don't like Ashford standards, The traveler is okay but i think they look same (which they are, btw did you notice the ashford in the last episode of lost , which they tried to hide by dying and hiding it in the shadows lol)

I think at one point the wheel did some apart but a kind sole has glued some of the leg so that why i think it is back to front.

The orifice isn't very small at all but not as big as the dutch chucky wool machines.

When am happy with the wheel and am getting used to the spinning side of it am gona ask dad to make me a different size whorl for it, am sure he love me for it as it is tapered inside (not that easy for him to do)

Linz

I'll think i'll give the lesson to the cssa a miss untill i have got it sorted my self

:)

« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 10:01:20 am by Fluffywelshsheep »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS