Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sunburnt Weaners (British White Lops)  (Read 3107 times)

SmallHolderVirgins

• Joined May 2009
Sunburnt Weaners (British White Lops)
« on: May 07, 2009, 04:50:38 pm »
Noodle and Doodle have spent too much time in the sun today and now have sunburnt ears.

I did cover them both in Factor 5o this morning on their ears and down their backs to stop the sun,
but perhaps I should have gone back and done it every hour.  Thing is they are easy to do first thing
as they are just getting up and in their pig house so easy to catch, not so easy whilst in the field.

I have already used the human suntan lotion on them but am I OK just getting an aftersun to take
the sting out.  Thought a spray type one would hurt less than rubbing aftersun in.

Any advice please
xxx
 :pig:

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Sunburnt Weaners (British White Lops)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 05:14:58 pm »
Do they have a wallow? usually they will cover themselves in mud to act as suncream.

SmallHolderVirgins

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 05:25:41 pm »
Yes, but they dont seem to want to use it.

There is also shade under the trees and back in their pig house (its a proper brick built outhouse) and they are so red.....

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 07:21:30 pm »
Go for factor 20 or 25 treat them like baby skin.  They do burn easily and dont seem to always take the sensible route of the wallow or the shade.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 08:16:53 pm »
My GOS get burnt too and end up with a liberal coating of Ombre Solaire kids cream factor 50, i also use aftersun if they're particularly burnt (they dip their backs if they are) so okay to use. I find generally anything  in Mothercare or Boots for kids range is suitable for pigs!!!!!! ;D
We also use Johnson's baby oil for dry skin but NOT when its hot and sunny or they fry!
HTH
Mandy

SmallHolderVirgins

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 08:09:35 am »
Thanks Mandy

xxxx

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 09:13:35 pm »
Sun burn? We're just rusty.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS