Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New girls  (Read 2457 times)

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
New girls
« on: August 05, 2012, 08:47:21 am »
I've got 9 new girls (point of lay). They have had 2 weeks in a temporary house and run.1 so they could show any signs of bugs/illness that they my have.2 so they could get to know me.3 So they could get to know the other 6 chicken they will be living with (with out getting the snot kicked out of them :-J )  Yesterday I put them all together for the first time. It wasn't to bad, just the expected sorting out the pecking order (I spent all day watching them). My 6 original girl  are more annoyed about being shut in than anything else.  Have them all shut in because I want new girls to get to know where home is and where to lay there eggs (when they start). My question is (after all that rambling on ::) ) do you think it would be a good Idea to let my 6 original girls out in the afternoon when they have finished laying (to ease there stress levels) and just leave new girls in. Or should I keep them all in for a week ( and just put up with the continual complaining  ;D )

Oneeyedhen

• Joined May 2011
Re: New girls
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 09:12:44 am »
Hi, The few times I've put new hens in with mine I've put them in at night then let them all out together in the morning. Then they've all gone in ok the next night. I think they will be ok it seems to be instinct to go in somewhere safe come dusk.  :fc:

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 10:19:52 am »
Hi, The few times I've put new hens in with mine I've put them in at night then let them all out together in the morning. Then they've all gone in ok the next night. I think they will be ok it seems to be instinct to go in somewhere safe come dusk.  :fc:

Me too.  I keep them in during the morning until most eggs are laid - then off they go to explore :excited:

kegs

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 12:29:10 pm »
Same here.  Although I've been letting the older girls out on their own as the others are only 7 wks and hard to catch when I want them back in the run.  :D

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 09:04:49 pm »
Thanks everybody. Old girls gone out for the afternoon, new girls still in the run enjoying the peace and quiet (like me :thumbsup: ). They can go free range and discover the beach next week ;D .

Oneeyedhen

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 08:27:27 am »
Sounds great, wish I could go free range exploring beaches!!  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS