Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Loose mineral container/feeder  (Read 6683 times)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Loose mineral container/feeder
« on: August 03, 2012, 01:28:23 pm »
I'm looking for a *rain proof* outdoor feeder for loose minerals / salt (for sheep).
Can be standalone or gate hung, I'm not bothered.

Anyone got any ideas?   ... otherwise I'm gonna have to design and make my own :(.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Loose mineral container/feeder
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 10:21:20 pm »
I'd be interested in any answers too
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 11:49:25 pm »
Is it for hard blocks?

An old tyre is pretty good, or I sometimes cut a section off an old garden hose and run a string through to tie them to fences.

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 07:18:31 pm »
Mine refuse to eat loose mineral. I have tried many times using excellent high quality mineral straights and they pooh pooh it! It might be wise to try them first!!!
I have a brill hang over gate green plastic trough thing - I think it's for cattle, which I hang over a hurdle tied to fence posts for strength and changeable height (good for differing sized breeds or from lambs to ewes) then put my pre-bend shelter over the top. I do this for hang-over hay racks too!  The hang over troughs are great as they are split in too so water one side and mineral (block in my case) the other or hay in one side, nuts in t'other. Works a treat.  :thumbsup:
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 07:21:40 pm »
kind of like this but I have 4' ones under the pre-bend!
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=c16c8311-e6c1-46c5-9458-04be1d66b074

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 12:05:48 am »
Mine refuse to eat loose mineral. I have tried many times using excellent high quality mineral straights and they pooh pooh it! It might be wise to try them first!!!
I have a brill hang over gate green plastic trough thing - I think it's for cattle, which I hang over a hurdle tied to fence posts for strength and changeable height (good for differing sized breeds or from lambs to ewes) then put my pre-bend shelter over the top. I do this for hang-over hay racks too!  The hang over troughs are great as they are split in too so water one side and mineral (block in my case) the other or hay in one side, nuts in t'other. Works a treat.  :thumbsup:

If they aint licking the block, you an safeley assume they dont need it. Its odd, sometimes they go crazy for them and others they bareley touch em.

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 12:07:41 am »
Oh the blocks they like... they lick them occassionally with gusto...it's loose they won't touch. I think its the molasses they get greedy for in the buckets.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 10:25:04 pm »
Mallows - which loose minerals were you giving them? Was it the ones Pat Coleby recommends?
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 11:21:40 pm »
Mallows - which loose minerals were you giving them? Was it the ones Pat Coleby recommends?
Gosh -  I don;t know who Pat Coleby is. Should I be ashamed about that. Googling now! LOL
Its Naf  straights... garlic, nettle, seaweed, biotin, molasses liquid, calcium, vitamin E and selenium all mixed together. looks like a lick bucket yet less firm (not compressed I guess). it worked out loads dearer doing it this way anyway so I am not that unhappy they prefer the buckets.  :D

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 07:26:15 am »
It's for garlic and seaweed, and salt.  :)  And yes, I know they will eat.

Mallows - I'd love to see a picture of your shelter over the top plz :).

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 10:32:30 am »
I give folks a better idea of what I'm after - here are a couple of things that I've seen that are close ...
http://home.btconnect.com/bdsupplies/mineral_feeder.htm   --   too big though for my needs
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15-Pound-Mineral-Feeder-Sheep-Goat-Llama-/250474663754   --   not rain proof enough

I'm after a ready-made one, otherwise I'm gonna knock myself up something like this:  http://www.freechoiceminerals.com/feeder.php
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 10:40:35 am by foobar »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS