Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: seizure  (Read 1780 times)

tinwheeler

• Joined Mar 2012
seizure
« on: August 13, 2012, 07:42:51 pm »
I have just watched one of my pigs (welsh whites) have what looked like a seizure; she squealed loudly, ran in circles then keeled over, twitching, tongue out and breathing with difficulty. - quite distressing.

After maybe 3-4 very long minutes she got back up, albeit on shaky legs. after maybe another 5 minutes she seemed herself again.

She is one of three I had, one went to slaughter a couple of weeks ago and she and her sister are due to go in the next couple of weeks.

Does anyone have any experience/advice?

princesspiggy

Re: seizure
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 07:51:47 pm »
no experience xcept send her off asap incase she dies on u. better in freezer than at the knacker yard.

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 08:34:11 pm »
sunstroke  water depivation :farmer:

tinwheeler

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 08:41:12 pm »
unlikely to be either; we live in mid Wales and it's rarely sunny - certainly hasn't been today, and they have free access to piped water.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 08:50:01 pm »
Did she get stung?
Check her temp and if thats normal keep an eye on her and off to the butchers soonest.
Mandy :pig: 

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 11:35:37 am »
We had a gilt of about 5 months die on us last year with similar symptoms. The vet was here when it happened. Best guess is that she'd inhaled a bee or wasp which had stung her and caused the airway to become blocked. The difficulty breathing caused heart failure.

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 12:27:21 pm »
ewwhh it seems that sheep are not the only ones looking for ways to keel over and die.

I agree. Send her off to slaughter asap and if you want some kunes for your next batch I have some strong weaners here. ( Mid Wales)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS