Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig safe plans??  (Read 4646 times)

secuono

• Joined Aug 2012
Pig safe plans??
« on: August 01, 2012, 08:18:22 pm »
No body seems to know what plants are safe for a pig to eat. I have a lot of mixed weeds I'd like to pull and toss into my pig pen. They are 3mo tiny pigs and their pen isn't ready, thus the tossing in of plants. They won't eat the egg I gave them, just their pellets...

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
Re: Pig safe plans??
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 08:40:45 pm »
Hi :wave:
I am new to pig keeping and mine are on a big area and choose what they want to eat of the 'foliage', but be careful when picking plants and letting them dry out as there are many things that animals won't eat when fresh (bitter tasting and not good for them), but dried can have no bad taste, but poisonous eg ragwort. I am sure that many others on here will let you know what is safe to pick etc

princesspiggy

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 08:49:22 pm »
im guessing ur plants in us r different from ours.
i once bought a land management book without realising it was written for australia, different grasses and plants so not helpful to me in scotland.
pigs r more sensible than goats.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 07:56:18 am »
Feed fresh and you should be ok, pigs are pretty cute about what to eat.

I have seen "ragwort is poisonous to pigs" mentioned several times in forums, but so far have found no authoritative source or studies into this. Clearly horses are highly sensitive to it, but I don’t know what dose would harm a pig. For instance alcohol is poisonous to humans!

If anyone knows of a written text from a “reaserch” source this would be good to share with forum members.

I certainly know of people keeping pigs in areas that have (or more accurately after the pigs have been there had) ragwort with no issues.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 08:10:36 am »
we have a problem with ragwort and it is def better after the pigs have been in for 2 years. not that the field is useable for ponies anymore. i never seen pigs eat it or take any interest in it.
it certainly wouldnt affect weaners as its a build up of toxins that poisons the liver. by that time they will b in freezer. i would imagine that a breeding pigs would also be in old age before any affect, but as i say, iv never seen a pig with an interest in it.

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 09:53:06 am »
yes it is a build up of toxins   but taking the alcohol comparison some can take copious amounts for years and others there first drink is there last
as i have experienced the effects of ragwort on cattle(two suckled calves about 4 months old one died the other lived but would have been as well dead with the extra time effort and expense involved )   unless you have pigs wondering about on acres of land it would just be laziness or complacencey not to pull or eradicate ragwort :farmer:

secuono

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 06:26:15 pm »
Well, I tossed them some kind of tall grass w/roots from around our pool. Dock and Horseweed, horseweed they didn't eat. They munched on the grass and Dock some, but not much.

secuono

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 07:02:57 pm »
Tossed them potato peels and herb leftovers, they came over, but didn't seem too interested.
When do pigs really start to eat what you give them??

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 07:06:15 pm »
if they wont eat veg they are getting to well fed on something else :farmer:

secuono

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 02:33:38 am »
I toss them 3 volume cups of pellets for the 3 of them each night, that's it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS