Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rooster Sperm in our eggs  (Read 8806 times)

SmallHolderVirgins

• Joined May 2009
Rooster Sperm in our eggs
« on: May 06, 2009, 08:31:18 pm »
OK being Virgins to this lark need some help to either resort to plan B or put my mind at rest

2 weeks ago we got 17 exbats, lovely ladies and doing really well.

On Friday we were given a Light Sussex Rooser who is rather fabulous
On Saturday we then got 7 Light Sussex ladies

OK HERE IS THE BIT I DONT UNDERSTAND...

If Rupert is doing the business with the ladies and they are laying eggs if we dont have any clockers does that mean the eggs that we have are full of Ruperts sperm and should we really have them altogether if we dont want chicks ??

If Rupert and the girls have chicken sex then does that mean the eggs are fertilised but wont become baby chicks unless kept warm

HELP - as you can see I have no idea at all about chicken sex and am so glad my hubbie has found a forum where I can ask as its really not something you can bring into a conversation.

I just dont fancy the idea of eating eggs filled with sperm !!!

:farmer:

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Rooster Sperm in our eggs
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 08:36:54 pm »
The eggs will be absolutely fine and Rupert will do a great job at keeping the girls in order!  Don't worry about the eggs - eat and enjoy!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 08:46:37 pm »
Is this for real?  You are new to poultry and you have taken on 25 birds in two weeks with no idea how they procreate or what they require for a contented and safe life?  What sort of shelter do they have? What food do you give them and how much?  What do you intend doing with all these birds?  They will only lay for a certain length of time on a regular basis then will become erratic - what then?  Do you have plans in place?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SmallHolderVirgins

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 08:53:52 pm »
Dear Annie

Thank you for your concerns.

We have a brand new chicken house bought at great expense, the ladies and Rupert seem to be very happy.

The ex bats were bought to give them a better life, when they stop laying they will be on the farm until nature takes it cause..

They are being fed layers pellets and grain and maize from the farm and tomorrow will have 2 acres of grass land to rumage and roam which is safe and secure.

And yes the post was meant in all seriousness, but chicken sex has never been something we have had to think of before.

Once again thank you.

Miri, thank you for your comments we will enjoy our eggs very much (by the way, they are so tasty)

xx

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 08:56:58 pm »
Very glad to hear that.  My only concern is for the birds and animals.  It just seemed strange to suddenly take on so many birds all at once with no apparent, and I mean apparent, knowledge.  It seems I may have mis-judged you for which I apologise.  You must be getting a lot of eggs - I imagine your friends and neighbours will be delighted. ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 08:58:26 pm »
Dear SHVs, I was going to make a comment about them being ready salted but decided not to.

I was trying to explain chcken procreation to some of my friends at the livery yard but had to give up when Kirsty decided that eggs were chicken periods and she didn't fancy that. I didn't tell her that honey was bee vomit either.

SmallHolderVirgins

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 09:02:12 pm »
 :)

The Light Sussex were given to us by my Dad as a gift.

We are getting lots of eggs and the families are loving the cooked breakfasts, cakes and dippy eggs for the children.

Now I know they are not full of Rooster sperm I am a lot happier

Jo, Sara and I are both in our late 30's so not young and naive but want to be more self sufficient and be able to produce what we eat.  If you have a look at our introduction you will also see we have 2 weaners, who I have to say are the most fabulous ingenious and truly amazing animals we have seen.

Sara and I both come from horsey backgrounds although Sara has been married to her Farmer Hubbie for far too long !!!

I hope you will re-invaluate your thoughts and help us when we need it...

xxx

:)

SmallHolderVirgins

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 09:05:54 pm »
Dear SHVs, I was going to make a comment about them being ready salted but decided not to.

I was trying to explain chcken procreation to some of my friends at the livery yard but had to give up when Kirsty decided that eggs were chicken periods and she didn't fancy that. I didn't tell her that honey was bee vomit either.

Dear Rosemary

Currently on the phone with Sara and TBH I have also worried that our eggs were chickens periods with Ruperts sperm.

Thank you for your advice, look forward to speaking again soon

We seem to be on the same wavelength..........  Good health and wealth to animals with a bit of a giggle. xxxxx

THANK YOU   :P

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 11:06:32 pm »
the rooster is going to get very tired with all those ladies to care for. If your looking to raise chicks the try keeping the cock with just three or four hens.depending on how your ex bats are doing i would try keeping him away. they can suffer from his attentions.
To see if your boy is doing his job break an egg onto a plate and have a look at the yolk if you see a little circle on it then your boy has do his job. Dont worry about it being sperm by the time its in the egg its not its a germ cell. I bet ive got my biology wrong so please put me strait if i have.
Do you have any bushes trees for cover 2 acres is a big open space. our hens will only wander so far from home before running back. i suppose you could call them chicken. by the way your going to drown in eggs soon.

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 11:35:36 pm »
you can read all the books on the subject til the cows come home the only way you can really learn is hands on. any sort of life outside those tiny cages has to be better. fair play to you SHV

moors

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 02:06:19 pm »
Hi well done for taking these on they are really good fun!!!

Dont forget the grit and oyster shell mix too and the left over veggies are always loved.  my girls are always vying for my attention and it is getting a real battle with the cock as who loves the girls more and can find the most worms!!

I am lucky that I can ask my Mum about hens as she has had them ever since I was a baby - its like asking Jeaves but ask Mum instead!!!

And this forum is brilliant

IainW

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Brittany
    • Honest SEO & Internet Marketing Services
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 02:11:02 pm »

How would you know?  ;D
www.ibwsolutions.co.uk (SEO & Internet Marketing Experts) www.williamsholidays.com (European Family Holidays) www.self-catering-holiday-forum.com (Holiday Chat)      Everyone's entitled to my opinion!

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 02:28:51 pm »
so funny , but i know what you mean.

Btw i think hubby is turning to possible chickens in the garden, but am not pushing it lol.
been looking after Gillians Chickies this week and hubby is fanciated by the fact that they love lettice lol

Linz

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 02:35:41 pm »
  They will only lay for a certain length of time on a regular basis then will become erratic

erratic or erotic ??  ;D ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 04:08:34 pm »
 ::)
         ;D  ;D  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS