Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Happy Chicks  (Read 2273 times)

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
Happy Chicks
« on: July 31, 2012, 10:16:42 pm »
Has anyone used this firm for buying hens from, they are based at Fleetwood North of Blackpool.
One of the few firms that will deliver, though I would collect if purchasing.
Reason I'm considering them -
You can call in any time
They don't tell you 'no I'm far too busy' like the bloke did today when I rang up.
Please see my other post in coffee lounge for a rant I'm going to do in a bit !!
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Happy Chicks
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 07:10:39 am »
I live nearby and have had a few hybrids from them. Not the cheapest around but ok.

Helen

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 09:54:39 am »
We had a Happy Chicks organic farm just down the road in mid wales. So there might be several with the same name.

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 12:15:02 pm »
For POL hens Sussex, White Star, Blue Ranger, Silver Sussex, Blackrock, Blacktail. Blue Ranger, White Star, Speckledy [size=78%]all at £15.[/size]
Most other places I've enquired they seemed to be more £25 so I thought this was ok.
Cream Legbars and Orpingtons were £40 which seemed a bit dear.
Locally I rang a bloke and he was too busy for me to go and see them. Took my number to ring back but didn't.
Happy Chicks say on the website you can go anytime and they seemed to have a good selection of breeds so that you could see and pick. Very tempting for a newcomer to chickens, we certainly did that with the sheep.

Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 12:23:22 pm »
I have a few spare "coloured eggers" - point of lay - £18 each to forum members (minimum 2 birds) 

Will try for some piccies of the birds, which I think are really pretty.  But this is a photo of some eggs

Its pot luck pretty well as to which lays what, but I can generally make a bit of a guess  ;D

PS - collect from Worcestershire  ;D

To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 01:12:51 pm »
Cyril Basons ....... I think they will deliver, though not sure over what distance.

I looked on their site last year and there prices seemed very good ...... all the usual hybrids .... POL at around the £8 mark (some a bit less and some a bit more).

I have bought Black Rock and Speckledys from them in the past and very pleased with them. I collected some from them at Craven Arms, Shropshire and had others delivered.

Worth a look.  ;D

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 02:59:01 pm »
For POL hens Sussex, White Star, Blue Ranger, Silver Sussex, Blackrock, Blacktail. Blue Ranger, White Star, Speckledy [size=78%]all at £15.[/size]
Most other places I've enquired they seemed to be more £25 so I thought this was ok.
Cream Legbars and Orpingtons were £40 which seemed a bit dear.
Locally I rang a bloke and he was too busy for me to go and see them. Took my number to ring back but didn't.
Happy Chicks say on the website you can go anytime and they seemed to have a good selection of breeds so that you could see and pick. Very tempting for a newcomer to chickens, we certainly did that with the sheep.

From what i remember, the hybrids are ok. I thought the purebreeds were expensive.

Helen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS