Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fleas!  (Read 13400 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Fleas!
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 09:01:18 pm »
yes, that's it! Indorex!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 12:23:42 am »
 :thumbsup:

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 05:06:13 pm »
Indorex is the one that I got from the vet and it was very effective. I did invest in some of the bob martin flea flogger and some bombs for fumigating the feed room where they used to sleep but I havent needed to use them.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 08:17:22 am »
A steam cleaner on carpets, soft furnishings and around the skirting boards helps.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2012, 08:19:25 am »
Ooh, I've got one of them - will give it a go.  We are only getting bitten about once a day each now as opposed to lots and lots so its working thank goodness.
Have invested (finally) in a weed wand (as recommended by  Fleece wife for red mite) might bring that it  ;)   only kidding...
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2012, 08:44:36 am »
The frontline does work and even if you did nothing else eventualy that would kill them over a period of about three months as eggs in the carpet developed in their own time and got back on the cat.
 I was told that if you want to speed up this hatching process you should turn up the heating to create warmth, put damp towels on the radiators to create humidity and run the hoover round to create vibration. ( or you could just throw a party ;D ), This stimulates those in the house to hatch out in abundance and as long as the cat can go where it went befofe they will jump back on it be killed by the frontline.
I used to start to see a flea or two just as mine were due for a reaplication but I dont see any now and apply it every month.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2012, 08:50:41 am »
 ;D   with my hot flushes I don't think we'll be putting the radiators on but a party might be a good idea - long overdue one of them...anyone fancy coming to a Plumsboogiethefleasout night? we'll provide plum wine for you all?
I've got another 2 pipettes to go on snowball so we'll have done a 3 month course - will that be enough?

Have got 4 children and 3 adults causing many vibrations in the house so hopefully we're on a winner, will get the older 2 vaccuuming more  ;)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2012, 09:34:10 am »
You will have to keep treating her every month to keep her ( and your home) flea free but how long it takes until all the fleas in the house have either been killed by the spray or pupated and jumped back on the cat depends on the enviroment. So eggs that are in a cool still room that is very rarely used will remain domant until the conditions are right.
I cant quite remember what the vet said about the indorex but I think it was something like it kills the fleas and arrests the development of eggs but dosent effect any that are pupating. There is bound to be a member who will tell me I ve got that the wrong way round but its something like that anyway. :thinking:
the frontline makes the fleas very active as they are dying so you tend to see them more on the surface of the cats coat. I mention this because if the cat seems clear and then wanders into some place she hasnt been for ages a few may end up on her and if you saw them you might think that she is riddled with fleas and that the treatment isnt working.
Sounds like you are just about on top of it though so stick in there. :cat:

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2012, 10:19:34 pm »

Couldn't resist this.
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2012, 08:40:46 am »
Love it! We need one with humans scratching at their ankles too  ;)   Its got to the point where we are all scratching and thinking we are being bitten even though I don't think we are now?! Feel itchy all the time!

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2012, 02:06:03 pm »
Love it! We need one with humans scratching at their ankles too  ;)   Its got to the point where we are all scratching and thinking we are being bitten even though I don't think we are now?! Feel itchy all the time!
Know the feeling - scratching just reading this!! ;)
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2012, 10:14:12 pm »
ASpart from everything else that is reccomended you need a really good vacuum cleaner. I swear by my dyson. Not had a flea for 10 years. mind you, being isolated from neighbours cats helps too.

Mel

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2012, 12:28:31 pm »
I thought I would share this link with you all,no prescription required for frontline combo,saves the cost of the vet I suppose.Hope it helps!

http://www.leguidesante.co.uk/?o_link=confirm_order

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2012, 01:25:52 pm »
I thought it was prescription only. Anyone ordered from them before?

Dans

I thought I would share this link with you all,no prescription required for frontline combo,saves the cost of the vet I suppose.Hope it helps!

http://www.leguidesante.co.uk/?o_link=confirm_order
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Mel

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2012, 08:18:54 am »
Only within the UK,you can buy from France no problem,I have just had a pack of 6 arrive :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS