Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: PIGS OR NO PIGS  (Read 6951 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
PIGS OR NO PIGS
« on: May 06, 2009, 08:28:25 pm »
Every now and then i think i might like some free range piglets 2....to grow on for meat,  then i get put off... people tell me they dig big holes everywhere... i have free range chickens on 3/4s an acre and would like the pigs to go with them, it would be nice for me if they dig the ground over(grass etc) do pigs graze, but i dont want huge holes everywhere... i believe Tamworths are less likely to get problems, is that correct.....

Pigtails

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Scotland
    • 29brawl
Re: PIGS OR NO PIGS
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 08:34:57 pm »
Pigs do graze, in summer.
If you were going for a pig or two, now would be the time to do it, as summer is just around the corner.
The more primitive the breed, the better the grazer,
don't now about Tamworth's but the British Saddleback, is an excellent grazer.

Good luck!
Pigtails

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 08:39:44 pm »
I have just got 2 Saddlebacks and they're gorgeous!  Make sure you get your paperwork in place first before you do anything else.  You need a CPH number and then a herd number.  The DEFRA website has loads of good advice and a step-by-step guide to the paper work that you need.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 08:41:19 pm »
thanks ...probably would only want to keep them live for a short time what would various pigs be like at say 5 - 6 months.... by the way would like sausages and bacon mostly... harry

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 09:06:38 pm »
Tamworths are rooters and are like pig shaped ploughs so if you want to rpeserve your land, give them a miss. I think the short snouted, lop eared  breeds are easier on the land.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 09:38:04 pm »
Go for Gloucesters especially if you want bacon without bunkers.  You need to get them to 100 kilos for decent bacon.  Tamworths are ideal bacon pigs, as Rosemary says they do like to dig.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 09:48:40 pm »
i wouldnt mine the land ploughed but not bunkered,,, harry

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 09:55:42 pm »
Hello,

Middlewhites would be least intrusive on the ground and make excellent crackling.

Cheers

Gavin

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 07:22:58 am »
Then go for tammies long term, mine dug huge holes, then filled them in again as they dug the next bit.  As long as you dont have trees which you value no problem . Keep them till 9 months, they should make great bacon.  Have very good fences, or start practising for the London Marathon - tammies are guaranteed to keep you fit.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 08:52:50 am »
allready got electric fence that should do it?????  harry

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 09:05:06 am »
I wouldn't put money on an electric fence ALWAYS keeping them in - my weaners escaped from theirs  :o
The other thing to bear in mind is you'll need 2 strands of electric fencing - one at about 8-10 inches from the ground (to stop them going under) and one higher up, maybe 2 - 2.5 ft (to stop them going over)
We slaughtered ours at 9 months as they weren't really big enough at 6 months, got great sausages, but no bacon. I think you have to let them mature a bit more for good bacon. We had a tamworth and a saddleback, tamworth's are great fun?  :o if a bit mental, but the saddleback was really chilled out - possibly a better 'beginners' pig, but everyone on here has their own favorites, personally I really fancy a couple of large blacks next  ;)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 07:17:10 pm »
All pigs are fantastic, intelligent and make great pork.  Tamworths are particularly good at clearing.  We have a very laid back saddleback, our gossies are for the most part extremely easy, however there is always the exception to the rule, and Hilary (half GOS x Elephant) is the exception that proves the rule.  Its really whatever takes your fancy, or is easiest to access.  Thats the joy of starting up, all those choices.

jeffrey_barnfarm

• Joined May 2009
    • http://www.fac53.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 11:37:45 pm »
Just skimming through this 'cause like Harry, I to would also like 2 pigs, like himself, I have a plot of land spare, probably 1/2acre or so, would like it fenced up and drop an ark in. Keep reading of electric fencing - we have this for horses and run off the mains supply as there is so much land to cover but for pigs - does anyone know of a way of wiring up a solar panel to a battery and feeding the power that way? or more ideally - anyone know of any kits where it all comes 'ready made'? the panel, the leads, a 'store' for the power... Any help - greatly appreciated. For the horses we use the electrical tape and feed it through the plastic eyelets on the posts - would this do the job? Got loads of it - shame to not use it...

J

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 06:37:12 am »
With one exception - all our pigs are fine with electric fencing.  Be prepared for a few escapes at first, especially with weaners who are not electric fence trained.  Once they get used to it no problems.  If you could make a starter paddock with electric fencing surrounded by stock fencing, just for the first 2 weeks you should have no problems at all.  Tamworths will jump a solid fence; have never seen one jump electric at a reasonable height.  GOS dont as they cant see the fence. 

Pel

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 10:19:01 pm »
If you want two for only 5-6 months and for bacon you wont want a tamworth as they take longer than that to get to bacon weight (around 90kg + liveweight).
We have a welsh pig (WE) and a oxford, sandy and black (OSB) who are both 23 weeks old (bought at 10 weeks old) and weigh in the region of 90kg for the WE and 70kg for the OSB, they are off on June 10th. they have been fed 18% protein diet (farmgate growers) and for these last few weeks will be fed on a mix of growers, crushed oats and flaked peas. They were on a ad-lib diet till 20 weeks, and then restricted as the OSB was starting to put a little to much fat on.
We aim to get the WE near 105kg liveweight by slaughter.
The WE roots well, but doest dig too many hollows and he likes eating the things he has found whilst digging, the OSB digs less and generally gets bored with it, but will maintain the wallow and dig hollows for laying in. They are outdoors in a 5m x 15m pen.

Other good pigs for bacon would be large blacks though to do bacon well from them they would need to be around 8 old before they went off, they are very docile as they have lopped ears (like the WE and OSB).
Large whites can also be used for bacon, and really any traditional breed crossed with a modern will be quicker to weight (if you like the idea of crosses, as some people dont).
British saddlebacks are a bacon pig, but they can put the fat down, but if you find a cross of them with say a (large white/hampshire/duroc/welsh/landrace/pietrain) then they will take a little longer till they start laying the fat down.
I dont really have an opinion one way or the other to pigs as i've worked with most breeds, though i will add that tamworths do talk the most and the saddlebacks i've worked with are rather boring, however they all have their own personalities.
My personal favs are WE, large black and durocs (all very different).
Love pigs; their language, intelligence, and taste.
NPTC in chainsaws (felling small trees) and HND in Agriculture with countryside management.
Farming it runs through the blood :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS