Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: round bails of hay - north yorkshire  (Read 1831 times)

The Mobile Butcher

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Whitby North Yorkshire
round bails of hay - north yorkshire
« on: July 29, 2012, 02:00:07 pm »
I have one field, of hay  (not being sprayed with anything) 2.5 acres.. local farmer has offered me £5 per big round bail and he pays for cutting and bailing?  I should get between 15 - 18 bails.
is this a good price or a poor one ?  I only  have got the one field and I let it grow this year.
Paul - The Mobile Butcher

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: round bails of hay - north yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 02:06:17 pm »
That sounds very cheap when round bales off the field have been on my local gumtree at £35 per bale.Find out what you would be expected to pay him for cutting, turning and bailing. Hay will be expensive this year I am sure.

The Mobile Butcher

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Whitby North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 02:14:13 pm »
the farmer says each bail stands him at £7.00 to cut, then turn, bail and wrap it .

I think I will be looking to sell private next year if I make the field into hay again and try and make a little bit more money.

powispigs

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shropshire
    • Powis Pigs
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 10:43:36 pm »
Around here (Shropshire) this years hay in large bales are going - at the moment- for £15, hubby is a contractor and it costs him about £7.50 to do large hay bales. Sounds a reasonable deal as you don't have the hassle!  :wave:

The Mobile Butcher

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Whitby North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 09:19:34 pm »
well that sounds about right then £15 per BALE....i must learn how to spell better  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS