Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I thought one of my sheep was dead  (Read 7249 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: I thought one of my sheep was dead
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 09:32:35 am »
Mine never do that dead sheep act. Heads always seem to be up and alert even if resting.

Must confess that I quite often cross the lane and stand clapping and calling to my neighbours sheep ...... it's when they extend their necks back at such a funny angle ..... can't be comfy  ??? ;D

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 09:37:00 am »
ITH, never say never  ;D ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 09:41:13 am »
This thread has reminded me of my 5 year old daughter's rabbit 'BennyBunny'. He used to lie down in that dead pose and one day the girls said he looked ill so I said "oh just prod him! He'll jump up then". Of course, the one day I didn't panic he was dead, he was  ::) 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 09:58:38 am »
Bionic .... if I see mine doing it, I will be in a panic ...... probably will be dead!!

Plums ..... shouldn't laugh, but  ;D  that made me smile.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 05:48:33 pm »
Sally
You was right to have a look, they sleep at really odd angles at times. If you do find one cast, with all 4 legs in air, they will lay very still if they have been there a fair while, just turn them downhill. Nine times out of ten they try to get up uphill and it doesn't work. If they are o.k. they will get up have a shake, do their business and then walk off to have something to eat.
Sheep are funny creatures.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 06:16:07 pm »
Yes Karen, they are funny creatures. They have just been making me laugh.
When they saw me they ran to meet me at full pelt.  Of course they were only after food but they don't seem o have realised yet that they only get a couple of sheep nuts each in the morning to keep them tame.
Sally

Big Benny Shep

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Skipton
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2012, 03:26:20 pm »
had 2 big texel tups laid "dead" next to each other,turns out they were ust sunbathing but i still had to shake them to wake them up!
lazy sods :-[
BIG Ben
We have 80(ish) texels and texel x suffolks, 10 lleyns, 21NE Mules, 2 Dexters with calves, Monty the labrador, Dottie, Bracken and Poppy the collies and 30 assorted hens.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2012, 09:07:59 pm »
 ;D   ;D   ;D

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2012, 09:54:32 am »
Looking after a friend's beloved horse while she's at the Olympics and found him stretched out motionless in the paddock this morning. Ran as fast as my legs could carry me and found him perfectly ok and not at all pleased to be woken up, even for his breakfast!
Where are we going - and why am I in this handcart?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2012, 10:46:22 am »
 ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS