Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Introducing new piglet.  (Read 5423 times)

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
Introducing new piglet.
« on: May 06, 2009, 04:53:43 pm »
I have 3 pigs approx. 4 mths old, and a new piglet 8 weeks. I tried to introduce the weaner to the youngest pig, but a row broke out with biting and all...no injuries thak god. I now have the older 3 in a seperate enclosure, and the piglet in the enclosure adjacent. They can see each other but are seperated by electric wire. Will this help them become used to her? How long should it take before I can introduce her into their enclosure? I know it's not an exact science, but any advice would be appreciated.

Morgan

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Introducing new piglet.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 05:24:13 pm »
Couldn't you get another 8 week old for company, then they could give each other support once you put them in with the big guys
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 06:26:29 pm »
I'm trying to raise breeding stock  ;D

I had considered inviting the other pigs in the area down to meet her, but I think it's too early for her to start social networking.... she's a little young to be a debutante  ;D That and I don't know if the local pig (ruffians) should be introduced to my little member of the pig aristocracy.....God in heaven they are probably used to eating sandwiches with the crusts ON. The horror, the horror.  ;D ;D ;D

Couldn't resist

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 09:17:42 pm »
He he - what I meant was another aristocrat!  Not one of the riff raff! ;) ;D ;D ;D :pig: :pig:   You could go to 
:love: PIG.com
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 09:39:11 pm »
They will fight the smaller one will be at a disadvantage.  Even introducing one at a time, perhaps best to get another for company. 

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 10:04:46 pm »
Morgan,

They are just setting the "pig hierarchy" once everyone knows ones place things will settle down. Just make sure she gets enough rations and that the others aren't pushing her away at feed time - a bucket each should ensure this or indeed separate her at feed time.

Cheers

Gavin

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 10:20:00 pm »
I'm just afraid of her being scoffed. I was hoping that the close proximity to the others would allow them to get used to her a bit, before a full introduction. I know that they'll have to establish alpha pig down, but she's so wee in comparison to the rest of them, i'm afraid they'd make short work of her.

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 10:31:14 pm »
Morgan,

If you have the time, be around when they're together in case it gets too serious. It can be quite traumatic first time around but it generally only lasts an hour or two.

Cheers

Gavin

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 11:43:36 pm »
Thanks Gavin, your advice is much appreciated, as always.

Morgan

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 09:11:40 pm »
Well the weaner has been introduced full time now. My boys spent the afternoon seperating them sporadically. I moved them into new pasture, so that sort of distracted them a bit, and I covered them all in baby oil to mask the difference in scent (that didn't work, but they do all smell lovely now). I purposely gave extra ration this evening so that when the had eaten their fill there was still plenty for her. It's only the gilts that have issues with her, the boar just trots along with her as his trusted side kick. I am just praying that they don't make short work of her tonight and that they will enjoy their little menage a quatre. Fingers crossed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS