Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scorzonera  (Read 1526 times)

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
Scorzonera
« on: July 26, 2012, 09:23:19 pm »
Hi
Has anyone here grown Scorzonera?   After reading up about it & getting the impression that it is usually really reliable I thought I would give it a go... bed was fine, sowing seed was fine, then 2 weeks later we had about 16 days straight of rain & now all I have is a beautiful plot of docks  :'(
Was it the flooding out or is it just not worth growing?   - I've never grown or eaten it, but thought it would be nice for something different.   
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: Scorzonera
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 10:27:24 pm »
I have grown it a few times, though not this particular year owing to a fall curtailing my gardening ambitions

It ok, and is nice if you want to have something different, but it is not my favorite veg.  Its a little like a very mild parsnip, but much smaller and more fiddly to prepare.  I would only grow a couple or three short rows (4ft)  But it has not been difficult in the past.  Though this year most things outside in my area have done badly.

I would probably grown Salsify in preference to Scorzonera, there is a bit more to eat on it and they taste pretty similar.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 10:29:56 pm by darkbrowneggs »
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 09:05:40 am »
We grew some last year and it germinated and grew well but the roots were not as big as we hoped - not like the ones on the packet - probably need a good bit of warmth to properly mature - we are in central scotland - and as above a fair bit of work for your plateful - good taste though, and nice to grow and eat/serve something different. Incidentally we grew salsify too but unlike above post found it more difficult to get a proper meal off them - but left some in and they have had really beautiful flowers this year.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 06:37:46 pm »
I've got 2 plants out of an entire packet of seed  >:(

I have tasted it before and liked it, but I am not hopeful for a harvest

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS