Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Old Oyster pond!!!  (Read 2171 times)

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
Old Oyster pond!!!
« on: May 06, 2009, 12:18:26 pm »
We  have an old oyster pond (well was supposed to be an oyster pond) surrounded by a stock fence. It was built close to the shore so the ebbing and flowing of the tide would recycle the water. This was not the case, some water gets in but more stays where it is, making the pond slightly stale.

If I introduce ducks and geese to it, would they stay? I don't really want the birds round the steading but I'm willing to get some to live around the pond. I would feed them to keep them there, but would they?

Any advice gratefully received, as are choices of birds to put there.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Old Oyster pond!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 12:25:48 pm »
I have 2 geese and 14 ducks and we live beside a large river. The geese spend huge amounts of their day on the water and to be honest I am happy as they love it and therefore get the best of both worlds. However, I had them for many months on land before they went off exploring so that way they hopefully know this is home. The ducks have escaped a few times over the weeks and made for the water and they too have always came back, god love them. Hope this helps/

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Old Oyster pond!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 05:43:00 pm »
It's best to have a shed or hut for them, then put them in there for a few days before letting them out.  That will have become their home and they will return.  Let them out last thing before dusk the first time and don't feed them that day.  Then you can entice them back into the shed at nightfall with their food.  Let out late and feed them that way for another few days then you will have established a routine and they will come back for their food every night.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS