Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly hen  (Read 3169 times)

northernengine

• Joined Nov 2011
Poorly hen
« on: July 12, 2012, 07:56:50 pm »
One of my ISA browns went off her legs a few days ago, and shes unable to get about.
She cant stand on her own, and I see that while one leg seems to be working fine, the other leg is pointing forwards at 90 degrees, and the toes are curled up.
I thought shed maybe had a stroke or something, but she is very alert, eating and drinking - its just the leg. I really dont want to have to put her down, so can anyone suggest what the problem and cure may be?
Thanks again people

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Poorly hen
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 09:44:54 pm »
Sorry, not sure about this but since no other replies yet ........ Marek's disease has symptoms with legs at strange angles. I have no experience of this disease and don't know much about it. I think it usually affects younger birds and would think that ISA's are vaccinated. Maybe can still occur under stress  ???

Could the leg be broken/injured?

"Fowl Facts information centre" ...... sorry don't know how to do links but have a look at this site. It has information about Marek's but also other possibilities for leg injury.

Just guesses really. Hopefully someone else might come along with some ideas.

:fc:  for her.

northernengine

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 09:55:36 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Shes a pretty old girl, so its possible that any vaccination is no longer working??
I will keep her seperated and check her leg more throughly in the morning
I hope its not Mareks - I have 20 other hens, 7 of which are new.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 10:01:16 pm »
Possible that the ISA browns were not innoculated for Mareks and the new ones were. That makes them potential carriers and may have infected her Northernengine. You need to be very careful what you are bringing in as innoculated birds will infect uninnoculated, as happened in our case with ILT and IB.

With the leg forward leg damage seems least likely so could be neurological. Might be an isolated case of Lyphoid Lucosis or it could be local swelling pressing on a nerve. The vet may prescribe Anti-inflammatories -that's what I would try. A course of what was Metacam, but has now been rebranded, may give results.

But sometimes chickens do go off their legs for no apparent reason and don't recover. We've had two and neither improved with treatment. Good luck with her.

katog

• Joined Jan 2011
    • The Veggie Patch
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 08:03:15 am »
what is  ILT and IB?

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 08:09:31 am »
That happend to us- took on 2 battery hens and ended up euthanising our whole flock due to IB
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 08:24:29 pm »
Infectious Larnygotrachieitis and Bronchitis Katog. Hybrids are innoculated against them when they are young. They use live viruses of the ILT and IB groups -the weakest/ mildest strains that give protection against all. Problem is they are then infectious to any chicken that hasn't been innoculated. Result simultaneous infection of potentially mutated and therefore more severe strains of ILT and IB. Ours were on death's door for a couple of weeks (loads of expensive Synulox) and 3 years on still get ILT flareups -very sore throat (can't eat) and puffy eyes (can't see to eat) in times of stress. Fortunately the strains hadn't mutated and we didn't lose any.

We split our flock, those exposed and those not. We brought in more innoculated hybrids but as our Pedigrees already had the viruses they were unaffected. The other flock are all Pedigrees and have never been exposed. It is something everyone needs to be aware of.

katog

• Joined Jan 2011
    • The Veggie Patch
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 07:52:52 am »
Thanks, I think I understand a bit better now - I've always thought abbreviations cause confusion

northernengine

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 04:03:21 pm »
Thanks for all the replies guys.
Im still a little confused though - how long does Mareks take to, erm.... take full effect? Its now been more than 3 weeks and the seperated hen is still full of beans! The leg hasnt recovered, but shes standing now (cant get anywhere without falling over though) and still eating well.
I dont really want to reintroduce her to the flock, nor do I want to despense of her when shes managing ok.

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 11:05:50 pm »
Hi,I have had birds go like this for no apparent reason I suspected Mareck's at the time,my birds like yours were still off there feet at three weeks.I think in the end you just have to face up to the fat they aren't going to get any better.
Its never a nice thing to euthanase a bird but when they ant carry out there natural behavior and be part of the flock and probably in pain just how long do you leave it before you have to at.

Graham.
Graham.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS