Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: larvae on pugs  (Read 1855 times)

littlegem

• Joined Jul 2012
larvae on pugs
« on: July 25, 2012, 09:16:12 am »
Got 8 week old piglets last Wed, spotted on sun that they had little white eggs behind their ears.... Put parafin on but they still have them  :(
They are tiny white eggs that are very much attached & hard to get off. Bout 2mm long. Can't find anything on net bout it,  please help. I have bout food grade de, will this help? Many thanks

HappyHippy

Re: larvae on pugs
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 09:23:34 am »
It sounds like lice  :(
Get them wormed with something like noromectin/ivermectin which treats internal and external parasites asap.
It might be possible to get your vet to just draw up syringes for you, rather than have to buy a whole bottle of wormer - but they need jabbed asap.  :thumbsup:
HTH
Karen x

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 09:28:10 am »
as Karen says get them jagged for internal and external parasites        a reputable breeder would have done this or should have done this before you bought them :farmer:

littlegem

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 09:29:38 am »
Thanks  ;) my vet gave me the end of there wormer for my other pigs as they wouldn't get to use it all within the 28 days, I have sprinkled red mite powder. Do you reckon the diotematious earth will help? It's the one that can be put in feed for internal parasites too.... Thanks  :)

littlegem

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 09:32:23 am »
I asked him if they had been done, he said no as most pig farmer say don't bother, I thought that strange but said I would do it as I wanted them done. Just wasn't sure what these eggs were, thought it might be more serious that a wormer couldn't solve...

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 09:35:40 am »
I've not used DE so can't really comment on that - sorry !
But generally you're better to inject, especially with young pigs, as you can be sure they've all had the correct dose - if they've got lice they could very well have a worm burden too and it'll affect how they grow if not treated quickly. I'm sure your vet will have more  ;) or you can buy a 50ml bottle of Noromectin for less than £20 - check out vedmedsdirect.co.uk

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 09:36:23 am »
I asked him if they had been done, he said no as most pig farmer say don't bother, I thought that strange but said I would do it as I wanted them done. Just wasn't sure what these eggs were, thought it might be more serious that a wormer couldn't solve...
The jab type wormers don't just do worms they do all sorts of other parasites, bugs etc as well thats why we're telling you to jab them. The eggs aren't worms they're parasites eating away into your pigs so get them jabbed NOW.
Are you in the UK?
Mandy  :pig:

littlegem

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 09:51:03 am »
Yes in the UK. Will get to vet drug place next door to work, has proved to come in handy being next door lol. Was getting them jabbed anyway. Thanks for the help identifying guys ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS