Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mosquito bites  (Read 3003 times)

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
Mosquito bites
« on: July 29, 2012, 11:56:30 am »
Does anyone know if young weaners (from 9 weeks) get bitten by mosquitos, or if they bother them at all?   In one of the woodland areas we use the mosquitos are absolutely dreadful this year, probably due to the recent hot weather plus overfull ponds and puddles from the previous weeks of torrential rain.   Its like a plague of locusts, billions of these quite large things stinging us humans mercilessly.   At the same time I think I remember reading somewhere that pigs would be immune from that dreadful mosquito-transmitted sheep disease (Schallenberg's?) because they did not get bitten.  I am presuming the older sows would be immune anyway as their skin is so tough and thick, well at least extremely difficult to inject with any sort of medication when you want to.   I am wondering whether I should keep the young pigs out of the woods until colder weather arrives, even though this year cold/hot wet/dry could happen any time at all.   Would appreciate any advice - Tamsaddle 

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Mosquito bites
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 12:44:39 pm »
Certainly my sheep get bitten by midges, on their less woolly bits and have rows of bumps around the edges of their ears and their eyes  :-[ The goats are bothered to death by them and I use Barrier's midge and fly repellent on them to help a bit. I'd be very surprised therefore if pigs didn't get bitten too.

Schmallenberg's doesn't affect pigs as far as I can find out, whether or not they're bitten by midges/mosquitos.

If they were mine and I'd got an option, I'd keep them out of there when the mosquitos are worst, not from any carried virus but just because I presume midges are as annoying to other animals as they are to us  :-\

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 07:39:04 am »
Thanks Jaykay.  I was really hoping more people had any info on pigs and mozzies.  I always thought they were a big problem in Scotland, but perhaps its only certain bits of Scotland with no pigs???   Tamsaddle

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 07:55:56 am »

There is no risk to pigs from Schmallenberg, an expert has told me directly - this is spread by modges who don't (can't) attack pigs.

Mosquitos don't attack pigs as far as I know, essentially there is not a good enough blood supply near to the surface.

Personally I wouldn't worry but let's see what advice from the Scottish contributers who must know the answer !

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 08:18:16 am »
The Scottish midgie, especially the West coast midgie, is a force to be reckoned with  :o but only for us humans  :D They are different to mosquitos (much smaller) and I don't think their bite/sting would penetrate a pigs' skin.
I've never seen any of my pigs affected by midgies, and I don't think I've ever seen a mosquito here (have seen them in Germany, so I know what they look like  ;)) but I think your young pigs will be fine Tamsaddle.
HTH
Karen

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 09:23:32 am »
yes there are mozzies here in Scotland      the only thing that affects pigs are normal house flies they just bug the tits of them   especially if they are in a wooded area         that is why we have such a high population of swallows :farmer:

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 09:50:58 am »
Phew what a relief - thank you.  Tamsaddle

skidley

• Joined Jan 2010
  • On the Marsh, Kent
    • Fairview Ginger Pigs
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 10:46:47 am »
My poor pigs are being hassled by huge horse flies especially a sow who has moulted pretty much all of her hair out, so she has no protection from them

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 10:51:36 am »
forgot to say we use spot on for the flies   contented pigs :farmer:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 11:23:57 am by robert waddell »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS