Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best laid plans!  (Read 4125 times)

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
Best laid plans!
« on: July 24, 2012, 07:29:44 pm »
Just measured my weaners and they are 86.5kg and 97.5kg (very long back!) and need to get them 'booked in'. Now the plan was to get more weaners asap, but if I got them now they would be ready for slaughter when the local abattoir won't take them due to Christmas! Gutted :(

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
Re: Best laid plans!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 10:09:25 pm »
Can't you book them now for just before, or even early November. We have done that, and booked in pigs that had only just been born, but we worked out when we thought they were due to go approximately and booked them in months in advance
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 10:30:31 pm »
rispainfarm -Just wanted the paddock not to be empty when the boys left - being an old softie really  :'(

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 11:23:01 pm »
If you got kunes they would not be ready for christmas.

Incidently i have some Kune weaners for sale :innocent:

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 09:20:05 am »
Hi omnipeasant. Yes had thought of Kune weaners, but don't know of anyone around here who has them and you are a bit far away for me!

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 09:31:11 am »
the stephens are a good deal closer if it is kunnies that you want        just depends on if you want your dinner served on dinner plates or tea plates ;) :farmer:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 09:39:20 am »
If you bought weaners now and booked them in for the last week in November they would be ready then to go as they'd be about 24wks old so ideal for pork. so don't see your problem!
HTH
mandy :pig:

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 10:41:09 am »
the stephens are a good deal closer if it is kunnies that you want        just depends on if you want your dinner served on dinner plates or tea plates ;) :farmer:
 ;D ;D ;D
Where are the stephens?

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 10:43:04 am »
Mandy
I have worked out that I could get some asap and have them booked in late nov - had mixed up when they stop taking private kills and thought it was first week in november, but it last, silly me :-[

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 11:38:59 am »
Mandy
I have worked out that I could get some asap and have them booked in late nov - had mixed up when they stop taking private kills and thought it was first week in november, but it last, silly me :-[

Its ok we all have blonde/senior moments, well i do! ;D
Mandy  :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 12:39:27 pm »
the Stevens are in  Aberdeen area   then if you want to fill a dinner plate we have Hampshire's and hamlops that would be about 120 kilos at the end of Nov but we are in the central belt :farmer:

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 10:39:09 am »
Thank all
Getting 2 arks in the next few days so will look out for weaners.
Thanks Robert I will possibly get kunnies AND something else, but will need to read up on kunnies as I don't know so much about them ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS