Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Here is my starfish!  (Read 3112 times)

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
Here is my starfish!
« on: May 05, 2009, 10:19:33 pm »
this follows from another topic....
We have had a seriously bad week. Daughter now in hospital with horrible unidentified viral illness. She has excruciating pains in her joints which are only now relieved by opiate injections....seven days of no sleep and worry beyond endurance. Got her admitted this afternoon.....came home....upset and worried

.....To find hawk in back garden in a very bad way. It was so weak it could hardly move. It was obviously a trained one because it had tassels and a radio transmitter. Started phoning all falconry centres in yellow pages, but they were all closed. Tried google, and first name that came up answered the call. They immediately described the bird and the tassels it had on its legs. The chaps jumped in their car and wizzed the 50 miles to our place. When they got here they said the bird had escaped three days ago  and that it was virtually on the verge of death. They told us that if the bird survived the trip home they would tube it with some re-hydration therapy. ......PING..... inspiration. I ran and got all my lambing stuff..... tubes, syringes, lamb/ewe re-hydration liquid, lucosade, warm water, ...all just the trick. They were able to treat the bird there and then. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEhhhhhh!!!  ;D ;D ;D So by going those extra few yards we have saved a lovely bird.

The chaps were overwhelmed with surprise and delight at both getting their bird back, ( they said most folk would not bother trying to find the owners) but also have the correct equipment and treatment available to keep the bird alive. It was as if it was meant to be....we made a difference.

That gave us a lovely feeling in the midst of our concerns over our daughter. Every day should have a starfish....
Emma x  :love:
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
Re: Here is my starfish!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 10:23:35 pm »
Hi,well done re hawk,fantastic birds. Hope your daughter is on the mend soon.
JD

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 10:25:47 pm »
Emma, well done you to be so quick thinking when you had so much on your mind. Let's pray that your wee one is home and well again real soon.

James :)

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 10:34:54 pm »
Oh how things make us laugh...wee!!!? shes a rollicking great big eighteen year old.....!!!!!

well she is my baby girl.  ::)

Emma xxx

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 10:51:17 pm »
always will be our wee ones lol (even if they are utterly strange creatures occasionally and the questions "who are you and what are you doing in my house??" pop up, but maybe that's just me...)
Hope she's on the mend!!
Well done on saving the starfish - oops, bird!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 11:53:12 pm »
At 65, my nearly 39 and nearly 37 year-olds are still MY babies!  Mums are Mums the world over.  All of us on his forum feel your anguish over your daughter.  I wish her a speedy recovery.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 11:18:02 am »
thanks for the good wishes. Lyssie is now in the best place...I just couldnt cope any longer with her pain. So I am feeling more relaxed now. We just need to get to the cause of it!!

With reference to the hawk. she is doing well. The guys phoned again cos they had lost dropped the transmitter when they were treating her here. 'Ol' hawk eyes' here managed to find it in the long grass, in the dark. ( Its a woman thing, we have radars not eyes...try leaving an apple core lying beside the sofa and we'll see it!!!) So they have decided to call one of their next batch of youngsters 'Emma' in my honour.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I cant say how much of a thrill that is. What an accolade, to have such a magnificent animal named after you. Swelling up with pride.....OH says 'Ok she'll have good vision but it will have to be a bird with a dippit character'.... :o :o :o :o :o :o he loves me really
Emma x

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 08:54:24 pm »
Congratulations of your starfish! And hope your "baby" is better soon.

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 08:24:43 am »
you certainly made a difference for that one.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 09:07:54 am »
Well done on saving such a lovely bird, no wonder the guys are thrilled. do hope your daughter is making good progress and they get her sorted out fast.  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS